ADSL 512k with incoming calls only phoneline possible?

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Hello World, May 2, 2005.

1. Hello World

Hello World Nibble Poster

Simple question really, anyone know if you need to have outgoing calls in order for ADSL to work, i got a phoneline but its setup to recieve calls and call freephone numbers only (student =D)?

WIP: CCNA 1, IT Essentials 1(A+)
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I believe that thats a restriction on your line that you request, so its not such a big deal, i have restricted my line for local and free phone numbers as BT charge too much, i use my mobile/skype for any other calls

as long as you have a phone line I cant see ADSL being a problem mate
    best bet would be to confirm with BT, if it is indeed just a restriction and not some kind of special line (which i doubt)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Hello World

Hello World Nibble Poster

Yeah its a choice, the line supports it... hmm thanks for that then, sounds like it'll work.

WIP: CCNA 1, IT Essentials 1(A+)
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

yes it'll work...remember your line has two wires, one for voice and the other for data...so the ADSL is running down the data side of the phoneline so even if you have restrictions you can still get the full speed of ADSL coming down your line...but if you were on dial up then you would have a problem but since your not it dont matter...so hope that clears it up...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Erm, sorry NoelG, but it doesn't ...

The signal is split based on frequencies across the bandwidth available on the "copper pipe", ie voice only requires around the middle range of the frequencies for acceptable quality, whereas the data can use the frequencies above and below this range - hence you require (in most cases) a splitter (aka micro-filter) to allow this arrangement.

Nothing to do with seperate wires, I'm afraid, but nice of you to try and explain anyway :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

yeah i was stumped on his comment too, but being he worked for BTs adsl department i figured id give him the benefit of the doubt ;)
    guess i was right about those BT guys hehehe

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

hey at least I tried...remember am always open for correction so thanks for clearing it up Jak...but since I did work for BT Faults after working for the ADSL department I found out more about the phone lines hence when someone who is on whats known as a DACS line (where the line is shared cos there are no more wires to spare) we tell them they need to have it de-shared in order to get the full capability of ADSL, hence where I mention the two wires cos it is in fact 2 wires made of copper but in what your saying Gav, your talking about the full frequency of the phone line itself, the voice side only uses about 22KHz and the rest is a maximum of upto 8Mb (not sure what that is in KHz so dont kill me!) which is used for the likes of ADSL...maybe I am rambling on here but this is exactly what I was told when I first started working for BT Broadband, so in all essence I am partly right...but again please feel free to add your own comments in the blank box provided below...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life