admin qualifications

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Smiten, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Smiten

Smiten Bit Poster

hi guys

my sister is wanting to get her self into admin work can any body point her in the right direction of some names of commanly known quilifications please.... as in table desk phone computer :biggrin

Certifications: None
    WIP: MCSA,A+N+
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The ECDL (European Computer Driving License) is probably a good starting point. There are also various CLAIT courses on the basics of using a computer in an office environment.

Maybe she should consider some LearnDirect courses. They don't offer formal qualifications as such, but offer courses to help pass exams etc.. in some cases you can get them free depending on your personal circumstances (ie if you are unemployed)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

When you say Admin work do you mean like office admin, or Server Admin?

For general office admin look at NVQ's.

8)

4. Duckie

Duckie Nibble Poster

Hi Smiten

It depends what type of admin work your sister is after but the main industry standard are the RSA qualifications (now known as OCR but employers still refer to them as RSA) in Word and Text Processing. Most colleges and schools offer these as evening classes (some dont charge either) and usually students work at their own pace until they feel confident enough to put in for the exams. Take at OCR's Text Processing page for more info.

ECDL and CLAIT can be good places to start but most employers really only want the RSA qualifications (trust me, this is unfortunately my job, I'm a Legal Secretary) and will often want people who are willing to work towards an NVQ in Business Administration after getting the job (since to do an NVQ you have to already be employed in an admin role).

Hope that helps.

I'm new here and will post a proper introduction when I get the chance hopefully later today.

~Duckie

Certifications: MCDST, MOS 2003
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

Hopefully you are talking about office admin.

All of the above certs will help your sister get into the admin field. Your sister may also consider courses from your local tech (college) like: Customer Service, Time Management, Interview Skills (this may sound draft, but this course should also include face-to-face & telephone skills). One admin job isn't the same everywhere (just like every IT job is different in one way or a another from the next one).

Depending on the age of your sister, she may get the NVQ's free from the Gov thru their program. RSA/OCR are popular with everyone because they have been around forever, however the ECDL and various Learndirect courses are gaining momentum. Quite alot of NHS hospitals, various Government depts and colleges are adopting these qualifications/certificates now for their staff.

Please do not take it that by doing these certs that these will guarantee a job (my sister only has her GCSE's and the NVQ 3 in Catering - yes food, and she does really well in admin), these certs, however, will make your sister more marketable for the job.

Hope this helps

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)