Adding PHP To IIS

Discussion in 'Web Development & Web Hosting' started by jackd, Jun 8, 2006.

1. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

How would i add php to IIS.Ive got the install program and it asks which version of IIS im using i click version 4 or above but when i try to run PHPMYADMIN i get a error message saying. "Could not load mySQL server extension please check youre PHP Configuration. Im asking this because im setting up a load of web servers some using xampp and some IIS.

Jack

2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

uhm, i think you're confusing a few things. your iis install, and your xampp install (apache, php, sql) are two seperate entities. whatever you do in xampp stays in xampp, although theoretically i think the xampp mysql install could be accessed by iis.
    your phpmyadmin is running on the xampp php install (hence the php in the name), and is solely for administering the xampp mysql database (hence the my in the name). so to administer the mysql database with phpmyadmin you need to start the xampp apache install (using xampp-control). after all, phpmyadmin is a webbased tool.
    any php inside iis will require a second, seperate installation of php, specifically tailored for iis.

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

IMHO I wouldn't mix IIS and Apache on one machine - but that is perhaps because I want to retain what hair I have left. :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

As d-Faktor says sound like you're getting confused.

I would stick with one or if you want both stick to this:

Use IIS to deal with ASP, ASP.NET and MSAccess and such.

Use XAMPP / Apache to deal with PHP & MySQL.

That way life should be alot easier. Thats the setup i did when i wanted an ASP, ASP.NET & PHP web server.

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

If you did want to use php with IIS. Download the php zipped package and not the windows installer (the windows installer, for some reason doesn't work properly) & extract it. Set up your website and configure it first with IIS. Then run the php setup file, this will then configure your IIS server with php. But watch out, if you try to run the php setup before you configure your website with IIS, it won't work.

Here's 's one of the links I used when we setup a webserver at work (MS windows 2k3 using IIS) with php. It's always nice to play around with different technologies, 1 linux server with apache, 1 Windows server with apache, asp, asp .net & 1 Windows server using php, asp & asp .net.

For an online manual of php, click here .

I agree with d-Faktor, you may be getting all your server mixed up. To download xampp for Windows, click here

Hope this helps.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security