Adding files to a .iso windows 7 Installation

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by beaumontdvd, Jan 23, 2011.

1. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Hello everyone,

I have made an image of my computer a few months back.
    I have installed a few more programs and a lot of windows updates since then, and was wondering if I can manually add these to my previous .ISO also theres a few .exes I would like to include.

I have tried magic Iso and added them to the tools subfolder but when I run the dvd I get an error code of
    Windows could not collect information for [OSImage] since the specified image file [install.wim] does not exist.

But that file is 100% in the iso?

Can anyone help or suggest any ways I can do this?

Thanks,

Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am pretty certain that you cannot add to an already made .ISO so you will have to create a new one containing the new files.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Actually, something like UltraISO will work for you.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Just tried UltraIso, adding the files I needed and got the same error, so decided to open the original iso without making changes and resave and had the same error. Maybe you just can't edit ISO's?

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  5. sjedwardz

sjedwardz New Member

winrar can open .iso files and extract from them. Not too sure if you can add to it though, might be worth a try.

6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I have regularly used UltraISO to add files to ISO images in the past without issue (Windows XP and Windows 2003 images, I would perhaps question if the version of UltraISO was Win 7 compatible.

Additionally you may want to have a look at something like Acronis as well (I build up my OS, install what I need (Office, Adobe etc) and then image it before doing anything else, if\when I need to reload the OS I then use the Acronis image instead.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. sugard50

sugard50 New Member

Hi solved this recently. Tought I'd register to put the solution here for others whu stumble upon this thread.

Actually .iso editors will not the do the job. There is a tool that can be downloaded from microsoft to create iso's for this purpose. I too was getting the same error as stated in the first post after trying with alot of iso editors.

The that works is named oscdimg.exe, and is a tool from microsoft. It's part of WAIK that can be downloaded from the microsoft website.

But the whole WAIK file is rather large. Britec computers has posted a tutorial on how to make the bootable dvd and has a downloadlink for the file.

Sorry as a new member i am not allowed to post links, so just search youtube for: How To Create a Bootable ISO and DVD from downloaded Windows 7

Only one difference, the tutorial describes how to make bootable dvd from downloaded windows 7 files. And I did it with an existing Win 7 dvd.

So just replace those steps with:
    * Extract your win7.iso to folder C:\win7 (I used winrar)
    *Command line to use: oscdimg.exe -bC:\win7\boot\etfsboot.com -u2 -h -m -lWIN_EN_DVD C:\win7\ C:\win7.iso

Just watch the youtube toturial, and you'll know what to do after reading these steps.

Ofcourse all respect goes to Britec09 who wrote/uploaded the tutorial on youtube. I just adjusted it, because I already had the dvd.

Hope this helps, god bless

Net4U
    Suriname

8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Or of course these days just go down the route of a USB key instead.