Adding a Slave Sata HDD with Win 7 already Installed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bobzy20, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Bobzy20

Bobzy20 New Member

Hi

I have a Sata HDD that’s been pulled from another PC with Win 7 installed but it has a corrupt ‘Classpnp.sys’ file so will not boot into windows. It gets a far as the ‘Starting Windows’ logo and then hangs forever. I have tried many different repair/restore point options and nothing seems to work. All I really need is to get some files off the desktop and then I can format and re-install win 7.

Is there a way I can get the files I need from the desktop? I have already connected the HDD to my pc which I thought would show up as a slave but when I start up my pc now it (also running win 7) it hangs at the same ‘Starting Windows’ logo point. I thought it was because both HDD’s have win 7 installed and are conflicting somehow?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Bob

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You need to make sure that you're booting from the right drive, sounds like your BIOS is now trying to boot from the corrupt drive.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Yes, this ^

You will need to change the Boot list in your BIOS to make sure that you boot from your original HD and not the one you've just attached.

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...