adding a child domain

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by dales, Jul 31, 2008.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a child domain called sales.scrivnet.co.uk, I've ran through dc promo and it has completed ok without errors. my sales dc is x.x.1.19 (named exchange)and my scrivnet.co.uk dc is x.x.1.8 (named battlestar). Its the first time I have tried to set up a child domain and I kinda expected it to install dns by default and maybe put some sorta srv record in battlestar but it didnt. I could not even ping initally from battlestar to exchange which is a little different to what I though might happen.

Now on battlestar i've created a forward lookup zone to sales.scrivnet.co.uk and also have added an A record pointing to exchange. I can now ping quite happily but cannot add clients to the sales domain. What bit of numptyness have I encountered.

I have had a look around the net and all I can really find is tutorials on the dcpromo wizard. Can someone give me a idea/clue as to what I need to do next?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

The issue you explained above sounds like a dns issue and configure as you need to create an A host record for the child on the dc as well as on the child. I believe this is why you have an srv record but not on that of the dc vice versa.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Been a while since I had to configure a child domain from scratch but when you add the child domain there will be a directory added to the AD zone in the root domain.

So if you expand the scrivnet.co.uk zone in your first DC there should be a sales directory in there.
    You then need to replicate this zone to the domain controller in the child domain. This means both DCs can resolve host names in both domains.

To add a PC to the sales domain make sure the DNS is pointing at the sales dc and when you are adding the PC make sure the domain name is just sales, you should then get a prompt for credentials as normal.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

thanks guys, I tried adding another forward lookup for the sales domain and also adding an A record to the dc of sales but that didnt work. Must admit was a bit sleepy though. I shall try again later tonight. Thanks

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Thanks guys just got back to have a look, deleted the forward lookup zone and indeed as sparky said there was already a sales zone under scrivnet( dont know if there is replication time on that or if I just didnt notice it). I think the main problem was that the exchange dc was not registered in dns correctly as its not a clean server and was a server in scrivnet until I decided to create a child domain too.

Thanks everyone