Add/Remove Hardware

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mr.Cheeks, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

So i plug my usb mem pen into my machine, then write data to it. i right click the green arrow icon in the system tray to safely remove the device. Windows now prompts me that it is safe to remove the device.

Is there are way to reconnect the device to my machine without physically disconnected the mem pen from the port and re-inserting it? like starting and stopping a system service?

in XP pro/2000 pro

2. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Ummm.............

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  3. Mr.Cheeks

hmmm, very helpful

4. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

HTH......
    :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

No mate i don't think so - if you check in device manager, you will see a yellow exclamation mark and clicking in the properties will tell you that windows has prepared the device for removal. re-scanning the hardware does not change this state.

It does beg the question.. why stop it in the first place if you don't intend to remove it? :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Mr.Cheeks

cuz you realise that you forget to put another doc on the pen?

7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I've tried having windows redetect it before, but never worked.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

reboot? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

its USB and in this case it dont use drivers, therefore Windows is unable to detect it again even when its plugged in...well I say it dont use drivers but what I mean is u didnt use a CD to install anything in order for the mem stick to work in the first place. Its just a case of plug and away u go.

I think its cos it uses the generic USB drivers, and once you hit safely remove hardware and its ok to disconnect but then you forget to include your grandma's photo of when she was dancing at her local the other nite, you cant get Windows to find it again by doing a scan of the hardware, as the generic USB drivers dont work in that sense (please stop me if I am getting cold). The only answer (other than Sparky's genious response) is to re-plug the device...

Yikes I hope that did kinda explain what I was on about...apologies if it went a bit wrong...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Quoted for truth 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

oh good...I was getting worried there for a second...im not really good at explaining things...lol...:biggrin Thanks Bluerinse

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life