AD Sites and Services lists DC that you can't see via ntdsutil

Discussion in 'Software' started by Leehaa, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Hey all,

Long time no speak - hope everyone's okay!

I'm currently going through our AD and noticed that when you do an nslookup on the root of the domain, it returns the DCs that are expected. However, when you go into AD sites and services, under a site and then look at the servers there is one extra server that shouldn't be there anymore. It was successfully demoted (as in demoted and confirmed successful on DC and then left about a week before being destroyed).

...so I went into ntdsutil to do a metadata clean up and remove the server but it isn't listed in there either!!

Any suggestions? Where would Sites and Services be getting the reference from??

Cheers,
    Lee

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
    Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Right click and select delete no?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

does it show up in ADSI Edit

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Not done it for a while, but from memory, after running a metadata cleanup you also need to delete the server object from Sites & Services. You should also clean up all the srv records from DNS

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Considering you've carried out all the usual's I'd check to make sure replication is working correctly on your DC's. Also check event viewer for errors etc and run "Repadmin /syncall" on your PDC.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

...thanks all.

I was reluctant to just delete as concerned it hadn't been cleaned up properly.

repadmin /replsum and the commands mentioned above mention healthy replication, so I guess in this case it will have to be deleted...checked dns records again, as per Zeb's reply and can't visibly see traces of it anywhere else...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  7. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

A metadata cleanup does not remove the server object from Sites & Services. It must be deleted manually. A reverse DCPromo probably behaves the same way (can't remember for sure, been a while since I had to do this).

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  8. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Thank you for your reply!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011