AD models

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by Big_nath, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Hi,

this is a pretty basic for you MCSE's and people working in large organisations. But i am only studying 290 and the AD we have is pretty basic.

What kind of AD structure do large companies (or small for that matter) have? I know this will vary from company to company, i just want to know real life situations aswell as text book.

If you can give me an idea of your organisation, that would be great. Also if anyone has any useful links?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  2. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Every organisations AD structure grows as the organisation grows so as to contain/handle the objects(users, groups, computers) that needs to be added to the AD[in terms of single domain to multiple domains, single DC to multiple DCs, single forest to multiple sites, singe forest to multiple sites(you will get a better understanding of these when you study 70-294)].

Which material are you currently studying for 290?? you can still add this to that if you can MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-290): Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment (very popular with MS exam preparations)by Dan Holme, Orin Thomas. Also you can still get the same material @ Amazon. All the best mate..

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  3. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Thanks, i am using this book and it is good, it gives a fairly basic overview of the AD. I think what am want to know is how do different companies structure the AD, in terms of what groups and OU do they use? In my organisation we have the AD, but other than distribution group we don't have any other groups or OU's. I am just curious, to know how other organisations do it.

Can anyone give me real examples of their AD's.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  4. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

as regards to the above, this is an entirely a very vast lesson topic which even if time permits we cannot really get all the juice required. but like i stated earlier you get a better picture of AD when you must have studied 294. just concentrate on studyin and passing your 290 for now.. cheers

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  5. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Youll tend to find that the AD structure will depend on several factors, such as company politics, departments, delegation of responsibilities and other things which will be planned for ideally by a design team and it will be tailored for the company and how the specific admin team (this is the key) works, as opposed to one general template for this is how it should be done.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

AD design should always be as simple as possible but it doesn’t always work out that way. Most of the AD restructuring projects I have worked on have been to simplify the whole structure as domains are sometimes added just for the hell of it.

For example the last project I worked on had the main corporate domain and then the other four sites had child domains. Why? The answer was because they were separate physical sites which in this case was a mistake in the original AD design.

I migrated it to one domain and now things “just work”, that’s the customers words not mine. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

oh lord :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)