Problem AD Issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by Josiahb, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Ok Ladies and Gents, heres one for you.

I've had an issue reported which I'm drawing a complete blank on, a user at one of our clients was unable to logon this morning with the error being reported as bad username and password, I took a look and decided to reset the password via AD to see if that had any effect and thats when the problems really started....

Attempting to reset the password gives this error "Windows cannot complete the password change for Nick Dimmer because: The system cnnot find the file specified." I thought I'd try and create a new user and see what happened but I get "An error ocured. Contact your system administrator" when I get to setting the password in the wizard.

A dig around on Google suggested that the FSMO roles could be buggered but a quick check has revealed they are fine, it was also suggested that this could be to do with all Novell info hanging around but there has never been a Novell server on this network.

Its a Server 2003 Standard x64 edition (SP2) box, its the only server on this network.

I'm drawing a complete blank so any help much appreciated!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Have you checked the Event logs? That would be the first place I would look.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I have done, unfortunately no related errors appearing.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Can you create any users in AD? Try just a new test username.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Tried and failed unfortunately, just get "An error ocured. Contact your system administrator".

6. Sparky

Do you know when the last AD account was created?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. trebor_88

trebor_88 Byte Poster

tried running Run dcdiag and netdiag to see if there are any issues?

How many dc's are there?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCITP:EDST, MCTS:7
    WIP: VMware VCP 5, MCSE and CCNA
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

You might also want toeck your active directory sites and services to make sure all the DC's are replicating properly.

If all fails create a test user account and see if you can re-create this issue or vice versa.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Are you running the ADUC snap-in on a workstation or directly on the server?

If you are running it on a w/station, you could perhaps try running it on the server to see if it is a snap-in problem on the w/station.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  10. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Don't know when the last one was created but the last modification was the 3rd of this month.

There is only one DC and I'm unable to create a test account. dcdiag and netdiag are coming back clean.

11. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Running directly on the server (unfortunately).

Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep them coming!

12. Sparky

As daft as this sounds try this.

Reset the directory services restore mode password (if you dont know it already)
    Reboot Server

Try creating a user account. :biggrin

13. Sparky

Just a single DC mate and a test account has been created and failed...

14. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

sounds like the last admin left one of those del *.* scripts for you to have fun with. can you create any other type of object, can you add groups or anything to existing members?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Thanks BM, hadn't even thought to try NET user so thats at least allowed me to get our locked out user back up and running. Resolving the outstanding fault on the server is going to have to wait for a bit as I've got far too many tickets outstanding (only just over a week in and I'm the only one on the bleeding phones already!).

Thanks all, I'm sure I'll come back to this soon.

17. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I feel your pain and understand where you're coming from in terms of above statement. The joys of working in IT I suppose or vice versa:)

Anyways, back on track is this account profile mandatory or roaming profile?

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  18. Sparky

Looks like BMs link could be a winner, try logging onto the server with a different account (probably best to copy the domain admin account) and try creating a test account.

19. Sparky

Back on track you said? :biggrin

20. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Another reason why you should be running DSA.MSC locally rather than via an RDP session (and why you each have dedicated Admin accounts as well).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA