AD + DC Take Two

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Mr.Cheeks, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Ok...

where i left off before was me typing in "DCPROMO" and it depromted my AD off the server, now i have retyped it and its going to come back on (well hopefully)..

Remember my old DNS name? domain.test.vmc

this is where i cocked up i think before,

its asking for a proper name like the example given is

What am i meant to write if i haven't got one of those?

2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

TheCheekMaster,

Is your server on an isolated network from the internet?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

This is just Microsoft over complicating and confusing you.

For test purposes, keep it to a basic namespace, something like cheek.local

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Mr.Cheeks

This is the same error message i got last time.

Code:

Diagnostic Results

The registration diagnostic has been run 1 time.

None of the DNS servers used by this computer responded within the time out interval.

For more information, including steps to correct this problem, see Help...

Details.

The SOA Query for _idap.tcp.dc._msdcs.cheeksadtest.vmc to find the primary DNS server returneD:

This operation returned because the timeout period expired.
    (error code 0x0000005B4 "ERROR_TIMEOUT")

Then i have to choose 1 of the 3 options, which are;

1 - I have corrected the problem. Perform the DNS diagnostic test again.

2 - Install and configure the DNS server on this computer, and set this computer to use this DNS server as its preferred DNS Server.

3 - I will correct this problem later by configuring DNS manually (Advanced)

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Go for number 2 mate :biggrin

6. Mr.Cheeks

but thats the same option i done last time :blink

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Did you do this bit?

8. Mr.Cheeks

i click on option 2 and this is what happened...

same again, so i clicked on cancel, and its just waiting for a DNS service to be recognised...

Im think of scrapping this project and thinking of some less awkward to work on.... :rolleyes:

9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Cheek,

Don't scrap the project simply because you are having issues. Part of the fun of being in IT is trying to resolve those issues, esp if you have the time! :biggrin

To try and resolve the problem lets try going back to the start. Is this the Virtual Installation that you were discussing the other day?

What I would do If I were you would be this:

1. Remove DNS from the Server
    2. Ensure that you have manually assigned the server an IP Address.
    3.Run the DCPROMO wizard.
    4. When it gets to the DNS part of the setup tell it to install DNS on this server, and have it point to itself.

Hopefully the wizard will run through ok. If it encounters any issues can you post a screenshot?

10. Mr.Cheeks

Im going around in circles, and its doing my head in...

I cant put the DNS on the server cuz its asking for that bloody file again, and that file is not working, i have read the MS site for help and tried it all and is not working...

I cant post screen shots cuz there isn't an option... and yes its the same installation i am on about but a round two...

11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Click outside of the VPC and then hit Print Scr. Paste it into paint, and then post. 8)

BTW how have you got networking configured on the Virtual PC? Is it set for local only, or Bridged?

12. Mr.Cheeks

i tried that, put still would not paste...

I haven;t set it to bridged cuz i dont know what that is, so it must be set to local by default?

13. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

When the server is running as a normal server (Not a DC) are you able to browse the web from the server? If so this means that Networking is set to something other than 'Local Only'.

You can find out what the adapter is set to by click ing on Edit > Settings and then Networking on the VPC. This is Virtual PC isn't it?

By ensuring that the adapter is set to local only you are removing any (possible) third party DNS comunication problems.

Can you then go into the 'Manage My Server' screen and tell us what roles are currently assigned to that server.

Some of this might sound stuipd since you've probably already tried them, but I'm just trying to figure out whats going on since I have never seen that problem before.

14. Mr.Cheeks

When the server is running as a normal server (Not a DC) are you able to browse the web from the server? If so this means that Networking is set to something other than 'Local Only'. Yes

You can find out what the adapter is set to by click ing on Edit > Settings and then Networking on the VPC. This is Virtual PC isn't it? Just says Network Adaptor 1

By ensuring that the adapter is set to local only you are removing any (possible) third party DNS comunication problems.

Can you then go into the 'Manage My Server' screen and tell us what roles are currently assigned to that server.

Domain Controller - Active Directory

Some of this might sound stuipd since you've probably already tried them, but I'm just trying to figure out whats going on since I have never seen that problem before.

Everything except the 2nd...

Cheers...

15. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ok, so at present your server still thinks that it is a Domain Controller, What I suggest you try is to Demote it so that it is simply a member server again. We will then run through the whole promotion and DNS setup process again

When you demote the server is this when you start getting that DNS error?:blink

16. Mr.Cheeks

When i demote it, i have no error, when i (whats the opposite of demote? Promote?) promote it, thats when i get the error... If by end of today i dont get this going, i'll try another OS...

17. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

When you demote it can you verify that it does not still say "Domain Controller" In the 'manage your server' place thingy.

Then can you try changing your Networking on the VPC console to be 'local only'. From within the VPC can you go into network Connections, TCP/IP and Manually set the server to have the IP Address of 192.168.10.1 (I picked 10 so that it wont interfere with any local DHCP server that you may have on your ADSL connection.

Once this is done go for the DCPROMO again OR install DNS on its own first. The choice is yours.

18. Mr.Cheeks

1 - demote - in run command, typed in dcpromo and AD was removed. - demoted and restarted macine....

2 - Manually set IP address - done that Use the following IP address

3 - and for the third and final time, i've run dcpromo.

and i have quit. its asked for the stupid dnsprov.mof file again, and MS solutions dont work...

i quit

finished

gonna throw the bloody thing in the bin.

19. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Well I'm F**ked if I know! :unsure

20. Mr.Cheeks

Simon,

What OS can i use to create an DC / AD???