active directory with internet?

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by mallet, Apr 18, 2007.

1. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

Ive been trying to get this over my head for a few days now but, how does the internet work with active directory?

Does it mean, if you setup all the tcp/ip configurations and the default gateway on the domain controller. Does this mean, all the clients have internet access? Is there anything else I need to do?

-mallet

Certifications: MCP
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Active Directory doesn't work over the Internet... nor does a domain controller limit access to the Internet without software (like a proxy server) doing so.

Basically, anyone with a valid IP address for the network and the default gateway address to the Internet will be able to get out to the Internet (unless, for instance, a firewall is configured to block that user or their IP address).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

AD has nothing to do with Internet. What you need to do is create a routing device (could be a router, could be a multi homed computer) and make the connections.
    It is not advisable to use your domain controller for this. I would use a non domain machine for this protected by a firewall on both sides. In this way you create a DMZ (demilitarized zone).
    Remember, if you are connected to the internet, the internet is connected to you.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Good advice and explanation has already been given but you need to give us some more info how you setup your AD if its dynamic ip through a router or set with a static ip address.

AD would only work properly if it was configured with a static ip address the right way in which it is done. Cheerio and lets know how you get on.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

My setup of active directory is as follows:
    The Domain Controller has a static IP address, and on this same com, it has a DNS server.
    Although whats odd is, if I setup a client com it gets its IP address from my wireless router from the 192.168.x.x range.
    Is this how a real world domain would work: client gets its user profile from Domain and computer then contacts router to optain IP address?
    Sorry I am a newbie at this :(

I eventually managed to get contact with my tutor and he says if you are setting up active dir, you have to setup a DHCP so the clients can get a IP address. Is this true?
    Thanks in advance.

-Mallet

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You dont have to, you *could* give your PCs static IPs. If you are learning MS products I would install DHCP on your server and disable it on your router.

For your test network make sure the default gateway is your router and DNS is pointing to your server when configuring the DHCP scope.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What we're saying is... IP addressing and DHCP and DNS isn't really related to Active Directory.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Mallet

Perhaps you are getting DHCP mixed up with DNS? DNS does need to be installed for Active directory - DHCP does not.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

Thanks you all for clearing that up and for your time :thumbleft