active directory? or not

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by altottenham_hotspur, May 20, 2010.

1. altottenham_hotspur

altottenham_hotspur Bit Poster

Hi everyone,

I a week or two ago after passing my MCDST exam, I was saying how I didn’t really know what to go for next MCSA, MCSE or CCENT.

Few people said try and get a job in helpdesk support and build up some experience as my background is laptop/desktop break fix engineer and desktop/laptop rollout.

I have applied for over 20 jobs in the last few weeks and I have more or less what they want other then Active Directory and Server 2003/08.

I know little bits about AD but have never touched it and I'm know thinking I have to do a exam in it, so I learn about it more and how to use it.

What do you lot think, this make sense, or is the better way of getting to know it?

Certifications: HP Certified, CompTIA A+,MCP,MCDST
    WIP: hhmm
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It's the glue that holds all of the recent (back to 2000) MS technology together, without it you can't get the main Enterprise level applications servers to work (Exchange, SCCM, DPM etc), ideally you would want to get the exposure to AD DS and GPO's asap. Understand it and what it all does.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd recommend making a lateral move to a similar position, but one where you can get your hands on those server technologies and use them in a real-world environment.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

That and get a test lab up and running at home, a 30day trial of server 2003 should get you up and running.

99% of the work youll do will with AD involves general maintenance such as creating user and computer accounts, maybe some group policy work (depending on the role and your standing in a company), so id highly recommend that.

A knowledge of FSMO roles is useful, what they are, how to change the server that handles that role, and will help again as you move up an become responsible for things such as network design to get the best AD performance possible for local and remote sites, also backing up and restoring AD objects is a great skill to have also, but i must admit ive rarely used that in production as im careful lol.

Its a big field when you think about it, so start off small, set it up, get some accounts created and start playing with group policy

Good luck

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. altottenham_hotspur

altottenham_hotspur Bit Poster

Cheers for the feedback guys, think I will get on with downloading that free copy of server.

Certifications: HP Certified, CompTIA A+,MCP,MCDST
    WIP: hhmm