Active directory issues

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zxspectrum, Jun 4, 2014.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hey all

Im pretty new at AD so im going to pick peoples brains on here if thats ok

Currently when i reset a password, i type in whatever and tell the user the new password so that i know its reset. Then tick the box so that they have to choose a new password at logon etc.

The problem we had before was a member of staff wanted to change the password as she was 5 days before expiration. So she went through the way she would normally set it and tried to change it herself, but when she did, it was causing problems. Then she came to us and i reset her from the start just to make sure we were starting from a fresh password. Now she types in the password we gave her and it took a while but it worked. The screen then prompted her to change the password as it should do, and when she tried this it took even longer, say 5 mins approx. So i got tired of waiting and shut the machine down.

I got her to log onto the machine next to me and the password that she chose was accepted with the logging in screen taking a long time ? This has only ever happened to on user that i know of, and i was wondering if anyone could shed some light or point me in the right direction.

Obviously as its only happened to her, im thinking of it being a user profile issue, and she also explained to us that it happens everytime she comes to the password change ???

As it is, shes up and running but this is one of them problems id like to nip in the bud now so that when it comes back, i can explain what the score is.

Thanks for any help and advice

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Does the user have a roaming profile? If not recreate the local profile on the PC where they are having the problem so a new profile is created when they next logon and see how they get on.

3. zxspectrum

Hey Makaveli

All our users have roaming profiles, as they are teachers, they chop and change class rooms etc. It is only happening to that one user though, which is very strange??

ZX

4. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

If the user doesnt have the issue when they logon to other PCs then I would recreate their local profile on the PC they are having the issue on and test again.

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Without the password change how long does it take the user to get logged on normally? Depends if there is a cached profile I guess but would look at the size of the profile as a potential issue.

Has she ever logged onto the PC next to you before? If not that might explain the time it took to logon as there is no cached profile and it is taking forever to pull down the whole profile to the PC.

If the profile is massive then investigate why - could be a .ost, temp intern files or perhaps a log file in the app data folder that is causing the issue.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. zxspectrum

Hey guys

Mak - The user doesnt have the problem , only when the password change occurs. She has it on her PC and the 2 i saw her on yesterday.

Sparky - When she logs on when her password is hunky dory, she just logs on as normal and there is no problem. The 2 pcs she logged onto yesterday would not of had her profile stored locally. The strange thing with this is that when the profile is going through the change this is where the problems start, however whilst waiting for the password to change yesterday we got bored of waiting so shut the machine down as we thought it wasnt going to work. But then when she logged on, it had changed her password, and the log in was normal. So as it stands shes all set but we i dare say we will get this problem again.

The only work around i can see, but id rather not happen, is for her password to not expire, id rather get to the bottom of it

Ed