Acronis backup question...

Discussion in 'Software' started by IThurts, Apr 21, 2008.

1. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Hiya,

I have a quick question regarding acronis.

When i perform a full backup, i get a couple of "read errors" suggesting that acronis cannot read the data and therefore cannot back it up. I click retry and it says "cannot read sector 39,41,701" or something, but i hit retry and it then says "cannot read sector 39,41,708" and it does this giving me different end numbers (in bold) maybe 4 times, then it carries on backing up fine. Im assuming these are my bad sectors?

ANyway, is it an issue that i am pressing RETRY...or should i be pressing IGNORE...??

I ask as im wondering if i restore this image onto a new HD, that the errors will still be present as i have pressed RETRY...therefore backing up the "bad data"

I hope you follow my logic? Please excuse me if this makes near to no sense "technically".:oops:

Certifications: BTEC national Diploma Computer Studies
    WIP: See Sig
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Probably not. If it cant read the information, it cant read the information. Bad sectors are a hardware issue, not a data issue. So even if you back up corrupt data from a sector, its not really going to trash your next drive, all that will happen is that the data from that sector will be unreadable, meaning that any program needing the data in that sector will throw an error.

For instance, if that sector holds part of a word doc, when you try to open that word doc on the new HDD, it might error, or some part of the doc might just be output as gibberish. Its not going to transfer the bad sector issues onto your new machine.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Thanks heaps for clearing that up fergal, this was half the reason why i was putting off replacing the drive. Rep given.

Certifications: BTEC national Diploma Computer Studies
    WIP: See Sig