Acronis backup query

Discussion in 'Software' started by IThurts, Apr 23, 2008.

1. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Hi all,

key points:
    -hard disk size 150GB
    -external HD partition size 160GB
    -FULL backup size 110GB

so i have my full backup of my c: which takes up 110GB of my external drive. i have also made 2 incremental backups which are 3-4GB each...

my question is basically, to save space, can i delete say the incremental backup number 1 and if i need to restore still be able to use the full back up and only incremental backup number 2 to restore the system to my desire state? Or do i need the FUll backup + incremental 1+ incremental 2?

I know i defo need the full back up to use the incrementals, but i mean with the next incremental backup i do, can delete say incremental backup number 1...? As it will kinda be old news...if you follow my logic?

Thanks for any help.

Certifications: BTEC national Diploma Computer Studies
    WIP: See Sig
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You would need to take a full backup (say at the start of the week) and then run a *differential* backup each night. To fully restore the PC you would need to use the full backup and the latest differential. You only need one differential backup so once that has been updated you can delete the previous one you have.

This should help mate.
    http://www.backup4all.com/differential-backup.php

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

You need all incremental back ups made after you last full backup. If you did a full backup Monday and incremental Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday then the next Monday you needed to restore you would need to repeat you backup. Full from last Monday then incremental from Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

As Sparky said use differential the nights after you full back up.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  4. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Oh right...so thats the difference!:rolleyes: thanks for that.
    Just for my own head : Incremental is backing up changes since the last backup, be it incremental/diffrential/full backup
    Differential is backing up changes made since the last FULL backup.

Hope i got that right.

So i can keep my FULL backup delete the incrementals and just use the differential backup and essentially each time i do a diffrential backup, just delete the last one (diffrential) each time...to save space. Thus allowing me to have only two files in my backup folder.

So what happens if i overwrite my FULL backup from say last Thurs with another FULL backup from say today...will my differentials still be valid?I guess my differentials could be deleted because my full backup contains that of which the differentials plus the most current data..
    Rep for both of you guys by the by.

5. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Your right. Full and Incremental backups reset the archive bit, Differential backups do not.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  6. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

Thanks mate. Another question... :)

If i choose to backup drive c: only, but drive c: has external drive "X" mounted onto it..and drive "x" is turned on, will the backup copy drive "x" disk too as it is seen as part of the c:

hope that made sense

7. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

If the second drive is mounted, as in mounted in an empty NTFS folder using Disk Management the backup should include the contents as part of the C: volume backup.

If the other drive is a mapped drive, as in it shows up in My Computer as the X: drive, you will need to back it up as a separate volume.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  8. IThurts

IThurts Kilobyte Poster

ok...well i kept my mounted xternal drive off as its pointless to me to back that up as its a seperate drive. So pretty sure it didnt back it up.thanks!