Acquired a Honours Degree, should i do some Certs?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by happystew, Jan 19, 2010.

1. happystew

happystew Bit Poster

Hello

I Graduated from University about 3 years ago with a 2nd class Computing and Network Support Honours Degree and im currently employed with local council as a service desk operator with a secondment two days a week with desktop support (where most of my experience is coming from)

Do you think it would be worth my while to complete a few Certs, to bolster the CV, i had the A+ in mind as a starting point as it does not expire (as far as i know).

Will completing any certs have any benefits on my job hunt?

I know I’m lucky to have a job but the wage is not enough to live on comfortably unfortunately

Any help appreciated!

Stew

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
    Certifications: Bsc Hons Computer & Network Support
    WIP: MCITP
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

how logn have you been doing the secondment? if you feel you already have experience enough that you would feel comfortable in a sole desktop support role why not start applying now?

And the comptia recently announced their A+, N+ and security + certs will all become expired after 3 years. theres a couple threads about the forum which detail this.

That said, certifying isn't gonna hurt you. As to what to certify depends on what you have been working on? most people round here would probably recommend the MCDST though i think.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I would advise going for your MCDST and working towards your MCSA.

From your degree and some on work expierence i dont think the A+ would benefit you and probably not the Network+ either.

GL

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  4. happystew

happystew Bit Poster

The secondment has been going for about 5 months!

I have been applying for jobs, but due my lack of driving license I’ve been overlooked or not be able to take the job (Test is soon though)

I was thinking that studying for these Certs would help me with some things I’m rusty on

Do you know when the Windows 7 MCDST (if there is one) will be released, XP is on its way out i think, there starting to roll it out here already.

5. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

i'd still start with mcdst, although you say your company is rolling it out, i'd say teh majority of jobs you are applying for will be looking for xp experience rather than windows 7.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Certifications and degrees are two different animals. Both can be helpful, though neither are absolutely required for most tech jobs. That said, every advantage you can get over your competition will help you advance.

As mentioned, the A+ expires after three years... but just about every cert out there expires these days - Cisco's after 3 years, and Microsoft's when support expires for the technology.

Taking the Network+ and/or Security+ will extend the deadline another three years, so it's not likely to be a big issue... you'll only have to recertify the highest-level cert to recertify them all.

In that light, I would recommend the A+, Network+, and MCDST. Certainly you can skip any of these you like... but as I said above, every little advantage helps to set you ahead of your competition.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree, and then you can always do the upgrade exams, eg MCDST -> take 70-682 -> MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician 7, see my post here :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. happystew

happystew Bit Poster

Cheers

Thanks for the Info

9. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Since you have years of experience and a second class honours in networking I would not bother with the A+ or N+ unless you really are desperate for 'CV fodder', as these certifications are now a rather expensive proposition for limited benefit in the UK.

I would instead embark on the MCDST and then start working towards MCSA which is likely to give considerably more bang for buck as far as promoting you in the market.

As far as I am aware MCSA is still for life, so not all certs these days expire and not all of them in a small 3 year window.

Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician (MCDST)
    MCSA on Windows Server 2003

When you have these you will have two lifetime credentials, it is then upto you if you decide to take upgrade exams to the newer MCITP path which will last until 'end of product life'.

These certs will help prove practical knowledge of in production real world OS's and the theory of computer architecture and networking should be more than covered by your degree.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010