Accessing Router's CLI

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by hoss6800, Aug 13, 2007.

1. hoss6800

hoss6800 Bit Poster

Hi,

I started my CCNA intro about few weeks ago and I have been given an old Cisco Router (Series 805). I made a rollover cable myself and trying to connect it via console port to my laptop and access the Command Line Interface (CLI). I tried using Hyperterminal and had no luck.
    I was wondering if someone could point me in the write direction. Do I need another terminal emulator or Hyperterminal is enough. My only aim is to practice and nothing else.

Certifications: N+
    WIP: CCNA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What connection settings are you using for HyperTerminal? I believe you need 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, and no flow control: link

Connect the cable, fire up HT, and hit return a couple times.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. hoss6800

hoss6800 Bit Poster

Hi,
    thanks for your reply BosonMichael
    I have used the exact figures at the setting. It says connected at the bottom left corner an when I type "at" and press enter I get OK in reply. But thats about it, I don't get anything else (like CLI).

Thanks for help.
    Hoss

4. BosonMichael

Using the right port? Meaning, if you've configured it to use COM1, you're using that serial port, right? You can't connect by sticking the rollover cable into your NIC... link

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - you are connecting to your modem! AFAIK Cisco boxes never use AT commands!

You need to connect to the correct serial port. Then just press enter.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. hoss6800

hoss6800 Bit Poster

hi,
    thanks again guys,
    That is exactly what I was doing ""BosonMichael""
    "You can't connect by sticking the rollover cable into your NIC"
    I was connecting the RJ45 rollover cable to Console port on the router and NIC on the lap top.
    I don't own a RJ-45 to DB-9 Female cable at the moment. Is there any way of doing this without having this cable.

Thanks for your help guys.
    Hoss

7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If you are capable of making a rollover cable you should be able to remove one of the RJ45 plugs and fit a D9! That's the easiest if you don't have the Cisco adaptor to hand.

Having said that - those Cisco adaptors are usualy very cheap from second-hand computer places.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. BosonMichael

What he said. :) You need that DB-9 adapter (or snip off the RJ-45 end and put on a correctly pinned DB-9 end) to communicate with a console port.

9. hoss6800

hoss6800 Bit Poster

Hi,
    That is exactly what I did. Had an old ethernet cable, choped one end and connected a D9 and connected to RS232 port and managed to login. I even managed to reset the password on the router, because I didn't know the password on it. I am kind of very pleased with my yesterday's progress. Thanks for your help and posts guys.

Thanks alot
    Hoss