Accessing and setup of Cisco 871 (and my awareness of becoming very non-technical)

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Asterix, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Hi Guys,

Its been a while since i was last active here and i have spent the last 2 years developing skills in being less technical and speaking a lot of bullsh!t (vendor presales), all is great and this is the direction i chose although i just sat down to configure a Cisco wireless router (871) that somebody gave me, and after melon-scratching for several minutes it was apparent how non-technical i have become:

I cant seem to access the box on the IP of:10.0.0.1 (and yes i changed my NIC address to the same range), OK fair play the person before may have configured it with a different IP, so i will just grab my USB->Serial adapter and my console leads.......................... right i have now found a couple of console leads but cannot find any USB->Serial adapters, where are they all, surely i must have used one in the last few months [no]! I'll look in my work bag [none in there either], 20 mins later I have come to the conclusion that I must of lent my personal one to a colleague in my old workplace (which he kindly didn't return [thanks]! Have any of the 6 laptops in the house got a serial port [nope], perhaps the missus Apple tablet has one...... ha no chance not even a USB here [WTF]!

I don't work in an office where i can borrow a cable or find a machine with a serial interface and just want access to the box to configure the network settings (if i can remember what an IP is), is there any other way into the box or any tips people can give me (Reset box/additional software/other methods or accessing etc)?

Asterix

2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

So when you connected you didn't pick up an IP by DHCP i presume? You could connect to it and run wireshark - you may see a CDP frame from the router showing it's current IP, then change your NIC on your laptop to suit....but then you probably don't know the username and password for it anyway.

which takes you back to getting connected to the console port and doing a reset :)

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. Wireless_Snake

Wireless_Snake Nibble Poster

Have you tried to access it via the GUI? I know it's painful.

Certifications: BSc (Hons) Computer Network Tech, CCNA, CCAI
    WIP: CCNP, VCP 5, SCP
  4. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

thanks Dan, I was hoping ot workaround the requirement for a USB->Serial cable [anyone live near Guildford]?

How do you propose i do that? Do i need software?

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs