Problem Accessing a locally attached USB printer on the network using the terminal server.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dubfire, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Hi Guys,

I have a Locally attached USB printer that I'm looking to share on the network. Do I have to create a LPR port on the workstation that has the printer attached, share it then hey presto? Or do I create the port on the terminal server and when inputting the 'printer' IP I would insert the PC's IP? I've seen this done years ago but I can't seem to remember the correct procedure!:D

Certifications: N+, 270.
    WIP: 291 then 284 for the MCSA.. ITIL...
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

off the top of my head - install as normal, share with a sharename and in the TS install a networked printer with the IP address and all the shares should be visible to you to select or to continue typing manually -eg. \\192.168.2.2\sharedlaser

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You can also install the driver on the TS for the printer and when the user logs onto the TS the printer should be brought into the session providing this hasnt been locked down.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Right,

1. Install printer
    2. Install driver on TS
    2. Share printer with IP address of machine followed by the share name
    3. Add printer on the TS as a network printer.

Sorted - cheers lads.

Certifications: N+, 270.
    WIP: 291 then 284 for the MCSA.. ITIL...