Access DB issues for single user over network

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dazzo, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Hi All,

We have a database stored on a network drive being used by 3 - 4 users concurrently and for one single user the database runs slowly. Mainly when printing (now solved changing to different printer) and entering data into forms.

This database is not split be/fe and don't see that as an option currently. I have tested the machine which it runs slowly on and it's fine for my profile and other users in that office. When the user who has the issue logs on and uses the database to change a field in the form it sticks for a while calculating.

The office version is 2013 and in the office 2010 and 2013 is used with no other issues. Machine is same spec as atleast one of the others including 8gb ram and i3 processor.

Is there a way in which I can find the bottleneck for this particular machine?

I am replacing the PC to see if this helps and I can then test the other one without affecting productivity.

Regards,
    Darren

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
  2. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

If there are users that have no issues and 1 user that is having the issue, I would suggest asking the user with the problem to logon to one of the PCs where a user doesnt have the issue. If it works without any problems then it would point to the users local profile on their own PC, you have effectively proven its not the PC if you have logged on to it and it runs fine.

3. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Thanks that's what I thought and I have got the user to log onto a different PC known to work and it was ok. I just wanted to see if anyone has been able to properly diagnose an issue with a profile for using access over the network. When the user gets the new PC we store the profile folders on the server but a local copy is still created. If the new PC functions ok I will put it down to the local profile settings, but if it doesn't I am unsure where to go from there. If a new PC does solve the issue the old one will easily be put to use somewhere else as access is only used in two departments.

4. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

If thats the case then if I was in your position I wouldnt bother with the new PC, there is no requirement for it as far as I can see. All you need to do is rename or delete the local profile on the PC when the user is not logged onto it and then the next time they logon a fresh profile should be created and all should be ok. Profiles can get corrupted I have seen it many times.

5. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Thanks for the help makaveli. The new PC was more to show it was in the process of fault finding.

Another user moved office (maybe short term) so we used his network cable and now it functions fine.

I think the switch may be the issue and will be looking at replacing the cables for the user again and trying the remaining ports.

Still seems a bit odd though....

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  6. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

In your previous post you said you logged onto the PC the user was having an issue on and said it worked fine for you so it can't really be a cabling or switch issue, if it was the issue would impact all users logging onto that particular PC.

7. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Which is why I still think it's odd that this has worked for the user. I'm just focusing on the switch now to make sure it's functioning properly. I believe that the issue is only more pronounced on the users log in and that the issue will arise again.

8. Makaveli

Makaveli Byte Poster

Why dont you just repatch the switch port of the PC you have the issue with to the switch port of the PC that doesnt have the issue and then patch the PC that doesnt have the issue to the switch port of the PC that has the issue. If the problem moves to the other PC you will soon know its either the switch or the switch port that is causing the issue. In my opinion there is no need to go checking or changing switch configuration until that is done.

9. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

That's what I meant when check the switch, I'm just waiting to know if/when the other user is returning to this office.