Abstract Concepts

Discussion in 'Network+' started by obsolete, Nov 12, 2008.

1. obsolete

obsolete Bit Poster

Hi. I've been boggled at and stopped studying my Network+ for over 3 years, and I feel like everything is flying by so quickly. I've recently received my A+ Certification in February 2007 based on the 2003 objectives before the deadline hit June. Do I actually need to update to the 2006 objectives? I read the Mike Meyer's A+ book to pass my A+ Certification back in 2007. The problem is that I have trouble understanding analogies and metaphors. I noticed Meyer's use analogies in his CPU chapter. Also, when I read or hear things, I try to create a picture in my head (don't ask me why, my I always try to visualize a picture). So, when I read about the OSI model in the Network+ books, it was hard for me to visualize it. I'm trying to visualize how data flows from computer to computer. But the process seems to be very complex. I asked a few people and not actually understand it themselves. I noticed that there are many abstract concepts in various disciplines and not only in computers. Also, how do people study? My memory is very poor and I haven't found a way to memorize things. Any help with trying to find a better way than visualizing and with my figurative language difficulties will be a great help. Also, I need to find a way to tackle these abstractions so that I can learn material easier. For me, it is very difficult to understand material than the majority able to do. Thanks for everyones help.

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I find myself very visual too, I don't see this as a weakness, a picture paints a thousand words, many people use diagrams or geometry to understand principals.

Try the CBT Nuggets materials they are very good. There is a diagram and metaphors for the OSI seven layer model. There are many standards bodies in the world, by definition they end up dealing with abstract concepts. Look at the TCP/IP 5 layer model, look at what fits in each layer, look at real applications like ping, FTP, Telnet, Browser/HTTP, SMTP. Get hold of debug proxies, network monitors or sniffers. Pry it all apart and see how it works.

Then the stuff will make sense, personally I wouldn't worry so much about all seven layers. Try to understand the main ones. Then at least get an meumonic device/rhyme to remember them in order. Try to place a few apps in each layer in your mind.

The packets get wrapped up sent across the wire and then unwrapped by each layer in the stack, this happens on transmission and reciept, its a bit like a russian doll. Again look at diagrams and explanations. It may be you just don't have enough experience with the relevant technology.

The real concepts are not abstract, if you had to build an OS, TCP/IP stack, networking protocol, application, network driver, NIC+firmware. How would you do it ? What if you were the last IT person on earth and you had to reinvent the computer and teach it to the next generation ?