Absolutly Gutted

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by damienj3, Feb 4, 2006.

1. damienj3

damienj3 Byte Poster

It's took me nearly 3 weeks to admit defeat but I failed my 70-270. My fault really I took it before I was ready and worked a night shift before the exam. Anyway I found the questions were not really related to XP Professional there was a lot on Windows 2000 server and how to set up a server (Coming from an ex-barman and a hire car driver I'm prety new to all this) but none of the books I was looking at were covering this fully.
    I've put this exam on hold for now and swiftly moved on to 70-290. While reading the Microsoft press book(70-290) I was provided with by my Training company (NITLC, I'm not putting them down by the way, I've had all the support I've asked for) I've learnt that I should have read this first as I done a practice exam with mcmcse and got 100% on the questions I was asked. Maybe I should have read this as well as the XP one before I took the exam.
    I don't know if any one else has found this out or maybe that I am quite tipsy from drinking Jack D and Redbull and finally come up with the Dutch courage to admit failure.
    On the brighter side I found some stuff on ebay that is helping me tremendously on my way towards 70-290 by the way of DVD's and audio training which I listen to when I'm on long runs. Hopefully I will pass my next exam. If anyone can pass on some advice which will help me along my way and any websites which provide free demo tests (Braindumps Not Welcome)

Certifications: mcse
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

sorry to hear about the fail. I think you making a little mistake leaving xp 70-270 behind and starting servers 290...first of all its alot harder and alot of the topics built on xp are expanded into servers exams eg user, permissions, disk management and printers just to name a few..plus when you go back to study 270 again you will be starting from square one which is pointless.. take a week or two off and start again with 270, you have you exam score and you know you weaknesses so build on them and nail it second time round! BTW i hope you getting hands on training too? :rolleyes:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. damienj3

damienj3 Byte Poster

Thanks mate. Is there any other books that I should Read first that could give me a ltlle more help on 70-270. I've been using learnkey for the 290 exam but can't seem to find much on the 270 exam

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i recently passed this and wrote about my experience HERE

PS leave the CBT material alone in my opinion.. books (note books not book!!) just seem to cover the stuff so go out and buy some of them..

Good Luck!

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sorry to hear about your 70-270 exam mate.

As zimbo says, perhaps it would be better to concentrate on passing that exam before moving onto the next MCPs.

You say you are studying with NITLC, perhaps you could speak with one of the tutors in regard to some extra studying materials, I take it you have downloaded the practice tests from their website?

Best of luck! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Sorry to hear about the fail.

I'm with Zimbo on this one.The 290 exam does build upon the foundations laid in the 270 exam.

While the exam and the study materials are still fresh in your head,use your score sheet to concentrate on your week area's.

With a few more weeks of study i'm sure you will nail this one.

What books did you study from?As for exam sims,Trancender's are the Bee's Knee's.While they are not cheap,IMO well worth the money spent.

Best of luck :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  7. damienj3

damienj3 Byte Poster

I was silly enough just to use Microsoft Press 70-270, but have learnt my lesson now. I'm now in the process of looking in to investing more money into more books and training material. Thanks for all of your advice so far.

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

you mean the 2nd edition MS Press book? the one with the blue cover? :blink thats the best book to learn from IMO!! 8) if you dont like MS's style of writing i think you next bet should be sybex's xp pro guide..

9. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

If you are looking for more resources for learning about XP, don't overlook this. I have the Windows 2000 Professional Resource Kit and it was definitely a good purchase.

In my opinion, which you just seemed to figure out too, it is a mistake to study from exam-specific books only. I needed a much broader background to really understand everything I've studied than was given in the books that I have. They cover only what is on the exams they were written to cover. I'm now closing in on owning 100 IT books, and only 12 of them are exam specific books.

In other words almost 90% of my study material is not exam specific material, and I never flunked an exam. Never really came close to it either. But, I do not study to pass exams. I have always studied to learn concepts and how things worked. I think it's for that reason that I never flunked a test.

I'm no smarter than anyone else here and probably dumber than a lot of you. I just made sure I understood things well enough so I could picture whatever I was studying at the time in my head. If I can do that, can visualize what is happening in my head, I can pass the test on that subject. That's what I have always shot for in my studying.

This leads me to the obvious conclusion: if I can do it, so can you....

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

100 books, yikes :eek:

Well you need at least two good books that cover the topics the exam will test you on. One book never seems to be enough regardless of who wrote it.

I would also recommend the Transcender, especially if you fail an exam, as the Transcenders not only help you to see where your weak areas are, they also link to the source of their question. So, you should read their explanations as to why they think certain answers are correct and you should follow the links they provide and research them fully as well.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Is that yikes because 100 is low or high? :p

I have somewhere around 600 books on computing alone here....

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do you live in a library? :biggrin

Only kidding mate, I have four servers in my flat, that’s more than some small businesses have! :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. ffreeloader

Hey, give me a break, Harry.... I've only been collecting books for 3 years. You've been at it for more than 20. :biggrin

I do have another 4 books on order and about a dozen more than that on my wish list. Does that help???? I know it's still a pathetic number compared to yours, but I'm trying.... :twisted:

14. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

OK! :biggrin

I try and keep the computer books separate from the 2000+ books in the rest of the house.......

Just as well it is a big house.

Harry

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

LOL well I had better say because it was so low then :biggrin

Me, well I have the whole Internet at my finger tips, there is enough reading there to take a lifetime to read and no shelf clutter at all. I do of course have all the MOCs, the CDs with the white papers and related RFCs and the books I bought to study for MCSE. The fattest of them is Ian McLean's TCP/IP Black Book . That is a great reference and was written by a cyber friend (another Scot) that I have the utmost respect for.

One wonders how you could afford so many books, you don't see IT related books going cheap in second hand book stores and if you did they would be out of date :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. ffreeloader

I'm impressed, Harry. You read more than I do, or at least buy more books than I do. I do a lot of business with my local library. A few years ago my library fit on a wall full of shelves that was about 6' x 10'. With the books I've added since then it would probably fit in a space 6'x16'.

17. damienj3

damienj3 Byte Poster

I was using the 1st edition (not the one with the blue cover). I take it my book has a lot missing?

18. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

err yeah i think so... umm i think in your case get the new one...

19. damienj3

damienj3 Byte Poster

Oh well Time to go shopping on ebay lol