Abode download freezes

Discussion in 'Software' started by flex22, Nov 8, 2003.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Sometimes, but not always, when I download a pdf document from the web, the download freezes.

Actually, the download doesn't start, it just gets to the point where I name the file or keep the default name.

The only way to shut it down is to use task manager, because everything else is not responsive.

If you can help, that'd be great.

2. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Arrrrrrrg :!: This just happened again. :x

3. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

When you're downloading the document are you clicking "save as" or just clicking directly on the link and loading stright into Adobe reader integrated with explorer? I have had unpredictable results clicking on pdf's, they sometimes hang depending on the size. I tend to just save them to disk then launch them locally.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  4. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Good advice phil, thats what I do too :D

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  5. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Flex, rereading your original post it sounds like you are using save as. Does this only happen to pdf's or does it happen to other downloads you attempt? It would seem odd that it only happens to pdf's if all you are doing is downloading a file.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I'm currently having a related problem.

I ftp'd a pdf file to my webspace, so's a mate could download it - sometimes, when I click on the link containing the url, I get offered the standard download option, and others, it starts opening it in Acrobat - which, of course takes ages (7.5 Mb over dial-up ??? :sleeping )

What gives there, then :?:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

It only seems to happen in pdf files.

8. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

This seems to have been resolved now.I right-click on the link and then save, and it seems to be ok.

Don't know what's going wrong with just clicking the link though.

Thanks people.