Aaaargh

Discussion in 'A+' started by MrNice, Oct 18, 2004.

1. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for all the help on the previous posts, I am starting to get the impression my score sheet may have been marked wrong, which may explain why I get no feedback from my training provider other than printers 9/10 etc. Its either a machine or a secretary doing mine!

Q1)If I need to access a web page on my company extranet using TCP/IP which of these protocols would provide security, it's confidential so I need secure access to this web server?

1)HTTPS 2)HTTP 3)PPP 4)SLIP

Q2)If you configure a Dial-up connection but when you use it you hear a voice from the modem speaker what config is wrong?

1)Dial-up connection protocol
    2)allowed network protocols
    3)Telephone number
    4)IP address of the DNS server at ISP

Q3)Which 2 of these characteristics distinguish a PC Card HDD from an EIDE HDD? I am guessing

1)Lower voltage
    2)Smaller operating temperature range
    3)Smaller dimensions
    4)Larger on-board data buffer

Q4)I find a working 5.25 inch! floppy drive and test it, I then stick it in my PC as drive B, when I power up my PC the drive is not detected by POST and the LED stays off, I test it in old PC and it works, I reinstall and it still wont work,I notice a twist in the ribbon cable, what is the reason for the drive not working?
    It makes no mention of whether you are using the same cable in each PC? I think 2 would do the opposite and LED would stay on and not A or D unless it's a different cable?

1)5.25-inch floppy drive ribbon cable should have no twist
    2)Floppy drive ribbon cable is upside down
    3)BIOS does not support older floppy drives
    4)Floppy drive ribbon cable is defective

Q5)Pentium II with a 168-pin DIMM (128MB) installed in first bank, after installing a 64-MB DIMM to bank two ,The POST at reboot only shows 128MB instead of 192MB. Reason for this?

1)Bios is outdated
    2)new DIMM is incorrectly seated
    3)64MB DIMM should be in bank one
    4)DIMM must be added in equal MB quantities

It's all this 5.25 inch floppy talk and voices from my modem speaker I swear I am losing it! :eyecrazy

2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

mate you're not losing it...but Qs 2,3 and 4 appear to have the right answers...not sure about 1 and 5 tho...altho I could be wrong on the others...i am open to correction fellas. :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I'd say for Q3, answers 1 and 3.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

My answers would be
    1. right
    2. right
    3. 1 and 3
    4. 4
    5. 4

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

For Q5)Pentium II with a 168-pin DIMM (128MB) installed in first bank, after installing a 64-MB DIMM to bank two ,The POST at reboot only shows 128MB instead of 192MB. Reason for this?

1)Bios is outdated
    2)new DIMM is incorrectly seated
    3)64MB DIMM should be in bank one
    4)DIMM must be added in equal MB quantities

I would have thought If the Bios was outdated the POST would throw up an error relating to memory or stating the memory had changed, I never read that DIMM must be added in equal quantities? I have previously submitted Bios being outdated but the more I read the question the more I think it's as if the PC has no idea the memory is there at all, It sounds like it is starting the same as before you added memory, which makes me think its not seated correctly. Any opinions?

Q4) I am completely guessing and it's one of those sketchy descriptions that throws it, The question makes no mention of the same cable being used in both PC's. It states he removes the Floppy drive from the old PC and installs it in his new PC as drive B, the first mention of the cable is at the end where it states "Upon inspection of the ribbon cable he notices a twist in it between the connectors for the floppy drives" Does a floppy cable have 2 connectors on it so he could be using a spare connector on his main drive in the new PC? ie: both drives ares using the same ribbon cable connected at one end to floppy controller and the other end splits and connects to both drives? any opinions?

Cheers

6. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

I think I just answered the 5.25 inch floppy question myself, I know it must be the Bios as I know what a floppy ribbon cable is like, actually 5 connectors 2 for each drive, to suit 3.5 and 5.25 and they all have the twist so it aint that, If the cable was goosed neither would work so it must be the Bios right? God I hope that's right! Still no to sure about that memory one though!

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

I'd say your getting closer MrNice - and more importantly, you thinking about it :D

Thats why these questions are designed and worded the way they are - and you are now proving that you are tackling them the right way. Keep working this way, then when you put yourself in the exam situation, you're gonna be just fine.

Only other thing I'd say - beware of assuming things that aren't actually stated. I've fallen foul of this in the past - just one of these things you learn as you progress.

8. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Cheers Jakamoto, I appreciate the advice, getting closer? so you think I am still wrong? ! If I spend as long on the test as I have on those two questions I will be lucky to get 5 answered! lol :biggrin

9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Hey, I'm not saying you are right or wrong. You have to make a best guess at the right answer, within the context of the material you are currently studying, that's all :)

There's a million cases where what we would percieve as the right answer might actually be wrong on the exam your taking, simply because the question is probably pointing to something deeper within the course material than just "why does X not work with Y".

In essence, it's all about getting yourself into the ethos of the examining body, or vendor. In other words, for the Comptia A+, you have to get into the Comptia A+ way of thinking.

You'll find this, possibly even moreso. when you move onto Microsoft exams, so you really want to have this understanding under your belt from early on.

I might be harping on a bit now, but hopefully, this will help you throughout your studies - HTH ! :D