A4 paper quality?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, May 24, 2018.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Bit of a random question, but I have never really given this much thought until now where it slightly matters to me. I am wanting to print quite a few documents (something I really don't do these days) and I am wondering what quality of paper is best. I've given it abit of a Gogle and it appears the quality is measured in "GSM", what I'm wondering now is what quality to really go for? I ideally don't want to spend a fortune but still want decent enough paper.. the stuff my misses picked-up is like toilet paper. Not sure what's really considered decent..what do you guys go for?

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

So generally the higher quality GSM paper the better, most reams (bundles of 500 sheets) either come in 80, 90 or 100 GSM packs, anything over 120ish is moving towards card type thickness.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

What would you personally go for?

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Anything from 100 - 120, we have both at home, just depends what you're printing for.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Juelz likes this.
  5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Thanks guess I will go for 100, I am creating some technical documentation for my boss, he is covering the cost, I just need to intially purchase what I need and he refunds me.

6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Does your company not have reams of paper?

Also why are you printing and not just creating a doc??

7. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

He should be covering a lot more than the cost, getting you to pay for it and he refunds you?, i am not liking the soud of that.

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  8. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Its not that sinister and he does this all the time, we just bring him the reciptes and he refunds us the money, never had an issue.

9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

But why are you printing instead of just keeping a document file? it's easier to edit, store and read

10. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Because my boss wants one hard copy..

11. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

There's also a few other things to consider... The colour of the paper (eg some white paper are whiter than others). You have got the GSM, but some quality are better than others again, eg the amount of paper dust, the feel of the paper, etc...

We used to use Discovery 75 at work, but now we use cheaper paper and we've had low level issues with quality of some of the prints and mid-level issues with printer maintenance (but not enough to change back :( )

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security