a+ with Advent

Discussion in 'A+' started by Danmurph, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Hi everyone,

Is anyone here studying or has studied the a+ essentials with advent rescently?

I'm just finding the course material a little confusing and could do with a little help or pointers in the right direction

Thanks

Danny

Certifications: MCDST, MCP, A+
    WIP: Everything!!
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am not with advent, I wouldnt go with a training provider.

What are you finding confusing?

Maybe I can help :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Im just reading the book they have provided, i'm about halfway through it, i'm currently reading about the registry.

The way I decided to revise is to read each module all the way through then go back and make notes on each part, the only problem is, ive ended up re-writing the whole manual, although I am learning some parts I feel I am not learning enough and it is really frustrating me because I dont know if I am studying correctly?? I feel it is taking me a long time to get through sections and I still don't have a clear understanding of what they are talking about

4. greenbrucelee

The way I have learned the material (I used the compTIA A+ all in one exam guide by MIke Myeres, the top recommended book on the subject and PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles) is to read the Mike Meyes book all the way through, then go through it again highlighting points.

With the PC Technician street smarts book I just practiced the exercises in it by going through the book.

What books are you using?

5. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

The book im reading is a book made by advent, I don't know if its any good though because ive got nothing to compare it to, do you think I should read it all through first then go back and make notes? I have 2 workshop days booked in mid december, this may help me understand things alot clearer, Im just worried that Im wasting my time as alot of it seems like a foreign language or is this because I am quite new to the whole thing?

6. greenbrucelee

Maybe invest in the books I have mentioned the CompTIA A+ all in one exam guide by Mike Meyers is the leading authority on the subject and is the main book you should use in my opinion.

Do some research on the internet to get extra info on the areas you are struggling with, and if you have any questions or help send me a private message and I will help if I can.

But don't give up, some people take a while to learn new things some people pick it up quickly but I would advise you just to keep reading and getting info untill it starts to sink in.

good luck :)

7. Danmurph

Danmurph Byte Poster

Thanks man,

Do you think its a good idea to keep reading even if I dont understand something fully and then come back to it later rather than sitting there reading it over and over?

8. LawJik

LawJik New Member

You will need to know most of the information in the books provided, whether Advent or Mike Meyers. If you ever find your self skipping a section, leave a post-it or mark in your notes, a big bold one. Reading further ahead may help you piece things together and see the big picture, maybe not. Either way, knowing what topics you don't know well is necessary.

Just read and read.. then read some more, until you understand and can practice quiz in your sleep. Practice quizzes can help alot, especially in gaging your current level of knowledge.

Check out this post I made, has some free online study materials. Remember it is probably going to take more than a month to take in all the information, particularly if you have little to no experience.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCTS(620)
  9. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Danmurph,

Your at exactly the same topic as me, around page 200+ right?

What do you need help with, maybe i can help you?

Certifications: A+, N+
  10. greenbrucelee

if I hit a bit I don't know about I try to get further info on it from google and sites like wikipedia and also extra reading materials from libraries etc.

11. Shetland_wolf

Shetland_wolf New Member

I've finished reading through the book, also made notes on what i'm weak on. Found it alot of reading though in one go, so i sort of broke down into each module and taskled each one. Currently doing the test exams with the software it came with.

Bit differnet to what i thought it would be like. Though i must say there are a few questions on the test software that are not covered in the book... Well unless i missed them

WIP: MCSE
  12. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

Hi there, I am training through advent!

I will admit that the material they give you is very much in depth for a complete novice (like myself) and can be slightly confusing! If you purchase the Mike Meyers 6th edition that everyone raves about it works brilliantly in conjunction with the Advent book and using the two books as references together, things that the Mike Meyers book maybe doesnt explained brilliantly the Advent book maybe explains it in a different way to which you may understand better and vice versa.

Also get yourself on the workshop days!! As a beginner I wasted far too much time worrying and making sure I had read the book back to front and knew as much as possible when the workshops are BRILLIANT in applying a basic knowledge, so dont worry to much about the book until you have been on the workshops and just get a basic overvue of it because on the workshop you will get quizes and a transcender CD to start practising for the exam!

Also the tutors really empathise with the beginner (and advanced students) and although I am still a novice I am confident with the work and have just passed my essentials soon to take the IT tech exam!

Hope this helps!!

Private me if you want any info on advent and I will be more than happy to help from what I know so far.

Good luck

Spy22:)

Certifications: Its who you know not what you know!!!
    WIP: CCNA?
  13. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

I did CISCO IT Essentials 1 at a local college + bought a couple of A+ books.
    Then spent a week studying when i finished the course and took & passed both papers on A+.
    It was cheaper, easier & more enjoyable.:D

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  14. Jagunco

Jagunco Bit Poster

I'm going through advent and I found the book was giving me a migrane... I really destested it.

I read it cover to cover, then bought the Mike Myers book which I found much easier going. I'm going on the course in December so might see you there mate :)

I'm glad ou said that though I was beginning to think I was an idiot

Certifications: You're having a laugh
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  15. klospros

klospros Nibble Poster

When I did my A+ Advent sent me the Sybex CompTIA A+ Complete book because the 2006 exam had just been released, I found this book very helpful but because the exam was so new at the time there was some parts of it that was not needed, e.g. IRQ's (everything is all plug and play now), also the workshops that Advent do are very well done and I did learn more doing them because it was a lot of hands on stuff:)

Certifications: A+ 2006, MCP, MCDST
    WIP: MCSE
  16. greenbrucelee

Just to point out, the exam questions are not the same for everyone.