A Week of Work Experience

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Duckie, May 24, 2006.

1. Duckie

Duckie Nibble Poster

Hiya everyone. I've been meaning to post this for over a week, finally getting round to it...

I did a weeks work experience a couple of weeks ago with the Desktop Support team at the Council I used to work for. I had a great time and learnt loads although it also helped me realise that I knew a bit more/could do a bit more than I had been giving myself credit for and that even for the things I wasn't sure about it was within my scope to learn (had been really worried that I'd struggle to learn some things but I don't feel quite so bad now lol).

I knew most of the lads to talk to and am friends with a couple of them anyway but everyone was lovely and made me feel welcome. Rather than being with one of the technicians the whole time they encouraged me to go with whichever one was doing something I was interested in so throughout the week I got to experience the whole range of duties they tend to carry out. I loved every minute of it, from the crawling under desks checking cables are plugged in, to troubleshooting on site, to doing ghost builds and blancco-ing PCs and everything in-between. Actually as sad as this sounds I had the best week of my entire life and it's really confirmed for me 100% that this is what I want to do, as if I needed any convincing lol

Oh and the best bit… the manager has said that I'm welcome back whenever I'd like! He knows it means using my hols to take time off work so has said that whenever suits me is fine with him. I'm definitely going to take him up on that offer :o)

~Duckie

Certifications: MCDST, MOS 2003
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Nice one duckie! So looks like you got the foot in the door.. you never know they might have an opening or using the experience from this get a job in IT!

Congrats! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Duckie - Well Done... just one question though, "and blancco-ing PCs" whats that?

4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Possibly wiping the hard drives?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hm - for me the word 'blanco' takes me back to CCF days. And in context it almost makes sense......

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Well done! Experience and there is always the chance of a position....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Duckie

Duckie Nibble Poster

Oops sorry, yep it's wiping the hard drives - blancco is the data erasure product they use. It's used by a lot of security services like MI5 apparently - makes it sound more exciting than it is :lol:

Certifications: MCDST, MOS 2003
  8. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

is it like low-level formatting?

9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Is it like a box that you put it in and the magnetism inside wipes the drive?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009