A+ vs. MCDST

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Trogdor, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Hello all!

I am currently studying for the A+ exam and I got some info on the MCDST. They sound quite similar. The A+ will surely make the MCDST less difficult. What I am really interested in finding out is if you already hold an A+, is getting a MCDST overkill? Or does it have advantages in addition to the A+ that would make it a worthwhile addition?

Thoughts and feedback most appreciated...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Hi Trogdor...check out this post:

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=49167

Hope it helps

Cheers

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Cheers Mate! Exactly what I needed. I looks like the A+ focuses on fixing the kit, and the MCDST teaches you to fix the customer as well.

Me thinks it will be next on the list then...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  4. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Well said!

I'm sure that the MCDSTs of CF will be along to provide you with some more specific info on the cert!

Good luck with your A+ m8...it's a great cert!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Want my recommendation? - Do them both.

The A+ and the Network+ both prepare you with the fundamentals on which to build your knowledge.

Once you have gained employment it will probably be in some kind of helpdesk type role, so this is where the MCDST comes in useful.

As you've already said the A & N teach you about the kit and how it works, where as the MCDST teaches you how to resolve issues with the applications that run on the kit.

in a sense they both compliment each other.

8)