A very cool picture

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, Oct 11, 2007.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I am putting a link at the bottom of this post to a 2.5 gigapixel picture taken in the Swiss Alps of the Morteratsch Glacier with a Sigma SD14 DSLR. It is a panorama stitched together from 667 individual photographs. It took the photographer 1 hour and 21 minutes just to shoot the pictures. It took him many days worth of work to assemble it into the final product.

If you don't have broadband I wouldn't even attempt to load the picture. But, if you do, once it has loaded, you can click on any area of the photograph, and then using the wheel on your mouse just start zooming in on that area. It's amazing what detail can be brought out. Once you are zoomed in you can still pan around inside the picture. It's amazing.

If the picture at first looks like it isn't very sharp, or you get pixelization, wait, the server is having a hard time keeping up with the load, and the tack sharp photo will appear when the picture is fully loaded. When you zoom in or out the same thing will happen. Just be patient, and the focus will sharpen once again.

Here is the link. http://www.panodrom.com/files/zoom/Gigapiz.html

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Great picture. You could spend hours zooming in and out of that!

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  3. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Did you find the man standing in front of the glacier?

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

great picture freddy...definitely well done...u cant even tell where the pics start and end with the joining. brilliant :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  5. oztrailrider

oztrailrider Nibble Poster

That is really cool, I guess some people really take their photography seriously. There has definitely been a lot of work to get a result like that. I always find photos of lightning impressive too, I imagine it would you would have to be pretty good to capture a lightning strike. Ones such as this that was taken in Brisbane just north of here in a storm a few days ago.

Certifications: MCP (70-270)
    WIP: A+