A techy's toolkit :)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leosdelsol, Mar 2, 2009.

1. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

Hi all been ages since I last posted, but now after being at college for almost 2 years and doing alot of self-taught studying, I have decided to setup a small pc repair business to help fund myself through uni next year :rolleyes: nothing major just on a small local scale for some beer tokens :biggrin I was just wondering if there any others doing this and what all tools and programmes do they keep in there "toolbox" while doing jobs???

Currently I carry :
    cat5 utp cable
    rj45's
    crimp
    cable stripper
    screw drivers
    air in a can

Os's (xp,vista etc)
    Knoppix for data recovery
    avg

usb caddy with 100gb drive in it.
    usb pen 8gb

cany anyone advise on any other items i should have on me or any better choices there is out there? I dont know what software or diagnostic tool to choose from either.

All help would be very much appreciated

kind regards leo

Certifications: HND Computer networking, 70-271
    WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Anti static equipment such as Wristbands and mats and spare anti static bags for taking sensitive parts away.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

a PSU tester and or a spare ATX PSU.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

cool guys thanks for the input :)
    any other software programmes you think I should be carrying with me?

5. Tomsolomon

Tomsolomon Bit Poster

They used to use two bricks, down the bottom of the garden. Keyhole surgery is the prefered method these days.......:blink

In all honesty....
    Your head will tell you what 99% of all the problems you encounter are. All I carry is a "NON" magnetic screwdriver, an anti static wrist strap and a bag of bits, screws, thermal paste, bits of plugs, lense cleaner etc etc......
    Although a very long pair of tweezers come in handy from time to time......:biggrin

Certifications: C&G IT System Support, A+ Certification
  6. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Hi

A small torch is also useful. A multi-bit screwdriver helps, a set of precision screwdrivers, as well as long nose pliers or tweezers. Cable ties, spare IDE and SATA cables, spare mouse, power cables etc. Strange though it sounds, a 2 pence piece comes in really useful for removing some laptop batteries.

As for software, I try and carry a memory stick preloaded with installers for AV (Avast usually), Open Office, Windows Defender and the latest service pack. Some portable apps are also useful, such as Open Office, Notepad++, and some sort of file recovery program.

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Laptop with a 3G card. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Tomsolomon

Tomsolomon Bit Poster

You can get a Netbook for under £150 now. And mobile broadband from £10 a month........:biggrin

Bargain....

Seriously. The best tool you can have is your own knowlege, and the knowlege of others.....

Certifications: C&G IT System Support, A+ Certification
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Tea bags. In case you end up in an office of Philistines who only drink coffee.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Network cable tester is always nice...
    I like to carry around a BartPE cd with me just in case..

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662
  11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

an Imaging software ap like Nortons etc

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. loneferret

loneferret Byte Poster

Energy bar and perhaps a map with local pubs. :p

Certifications: MCDST/N+/L+/i-Net+/CIW/OSCP/OSCE
    WIP: MCTS 70-662
  13. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

rs232 cable for configuring switches (you never know), plus a tatty old laptop with DSLinux installed for said switch config.

Ripped bits of teabag box (great for clearing dried paste from cpus)!

Couple of blank dvd-r's and cd-r's just in case.

Paperclip but that may be superceeded by the psu tester.

Umm and always overestimate how long you think it will take so that they (a) dont pester you and (b) think your brill when its completed before you said!

edit:

Oh yes and an MP3 player to while away the progress bar watching!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  14. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

Things that you've not included in your list that I'd be at a loss without:
    A workshop PC with a SATA controller that's recognised in both HDClone and Ghost. HDClone and Ghost for HDD cloning. Ultimate Boot CD for testing hardware (Mainly hard drives). The same workshop PC as before running XP Pro, for recovering data from customer's drives. XP Pro for taking ownership of files that are protected. PSU Tester, Precision screwdrivers, Long nose pliers, Cable ties. PCI graphics card.
    Also, you'll soon find that your lonely copy of AVG is woefully inadequate for real world virus and malware removals. I currently use any or all of the following, generally in this order:
    Avira (With manual update), MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, Spyware Doctor (Free version offered with Google Pack), a-squared Anti-Malware, Spybot S&D, SuperAntiSpyware, HijackThis (Not necessarily this far down the line), Xoftspy portable (Available for U3 USB Flash drives). Then I might run a few other bits including AVG for getting rid of any other bits and pieces.

Ontrack offer a good recovery piece of software, but you'll need to run it on a 3rd party (i.e. workshop) PC, and attach the customer's HDD by USB or directly to the board. I'd advise board for speed. And that's another point: USB - IDE/SATA (3.5" and 2.5") converter, with a HDD PSU.

Hopefully that'll help. :)

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  15. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

as always guys thanks for the info :D :D :D :D
    I was thinking of chargeing in region of 15-20 pounds per hour with no call out fee
    does this sound reasonable?

16. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

Depends how good you are. Ha. We're up against the little guys who just go around in their cars, fixing computers at people's houses. So we've got people calling us asking if we'll match the terms of these blokes, who very often are nothing more than an idiot with a dodgy XP disk. No fix no fee? Rubbish. Everything can be fixed, but sometimes it'd cost ridiculous money. For example, we charge £40 for the first hour, and £32 for every hour thereafter.

Charge them proper money, and hopefully it'll project that you're decent at what you do. I wouldn't take on any work for businesses at your level though, too much responsibility and liability for someone starting off. :)

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  17. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

I agree, try and stay away from business until you get a bit more under your belt. I'm in the same situation, I do PC repair on the side.

Only business stuff I touch is PCs. I also provide 24 7 cover, should you be willing to pay :)

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  18. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Sounds very reasonable to me, most people will charge more than that, the big test though is when you goto some older persons house (cough trip), can you be ruthless enough to charge the full amount for 3 or more hours work.

Also you may want to look into public liability insurance I think its called. If someone says to you, you fixed my computer and then the house exploded you'r gonna need monetry backup!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  19. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

yeah my dad suggested getting PL insurance aswell, I think the minimum cover you get now is a million pounds and costs about 200 hundred a year. Yeah was going to stay away from larger jobs as I dont have the time or the experience.I did install a switched network for an office the other night with little problem but dont think im ready for large scale work just yet :) im in Scotland in dumfriesshire after doing a bit of research it seems the next large pc repair service near me is twenty odd miles up the road in Ayr and there charging £55 an hour. So I think I might be able to poach some work if im considerably cheaper :p

20. datarunner

datarunner Byte Poster

hi there

a laptop
    spare hardware everything - mobos of all socket types, cpus, mem, hdd's
    usb drives for moving data
    cat5 cables

ubcd4win on cd and usb (covers just about any scenario)
    other boot cd's
    vista recovery disks
    a spare floppy (comes in handy)
    oem cd's of windows versions

plus my own knowledge / experience

hope it goes well as it can be a saturated market

regards

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 210, 270, HNC Networking
    WIP: MCSA