A Techs Toolbox

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dullage, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

I have just got my new 4gb thumb drive and I want to fill it with lots of useful utilities to help me when I get 'Ooo, while you here can you just have a look at my PC?'.

Things I have on there at the moment are:

- Easy BCD (Vista Bootloader tweaker)
    - nLite (Used to slipstream XP installations i.e. additional drivers, unattended installs etc...)
    - vLite (Same as nLite but for Vista installs)
    - Winsockfix (Winsock and TCP repair utility)
    - SIW System Information (Details lot of info about any Windows PC, can run straight from the thumb drive which is great)
    - CrossLoop (Great remote administration/terminal emulator, works well through NAT and Firewalls. I'm going to install this on all my friend and families computers so I can get easy access when they break them :x)

I also have a few 'Proper Programs' so to speak that are great for any first install or situations where you go to fix a PC and find there's no Firewall, Virus Checker etc...and a big sign that says "INFECT ME"!!

- AVG Anti Virus (Free :) Anti Virus software)
    - Zone Alarm (Free :D Firewall with more control than Windows Firewall)
    - Firefox (Because everyone needs everyone's favourite browser)

and a few others which are more tailored to my personal needs like iTunes and Skype.

I have read through Phoenix's 'Programs you cant live without' thread and found a couple of good ones on there but that's now quite an old thread so I though I'd see if anyone can add to the pot?

EDIT PS: I'll can add any suggestions to this top post to make it easier for future readers.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  2. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

http://portableapps.com/

First thing on every flash drive I've owned for years...

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  3. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  4. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Nice one, I saw this on a thread a week or two ago but I lost where it was. :D

Thanks, I'll take a look at this.

Hmmm, that's a bit like explaining to a taxi driver that your destination is in England :(

5. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Hmmm, sounds like you are not good with directions:(

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Come on, Obinna, that's not very helpful. Perhaps the next time you have a question, someone should simply say, "here's your link! Help yourself with whatever you need!" :rolleyes:

Besides, I'm pretty sure that Dullage was wanting suggestions from people regarding tools to put on his thumb drive... not suggestions regarding places to download things that may or may not be relevant.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Ok. i understand the first part:biggrin. But the second part, i pointed Dullage to the river now its left for him to decide the kind of fish, he actually wants for dinner. capisce!

8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I also find hijackthis useful for getting rid of applications that hide nicely in the registry, but use with caution when deleting stuff. You can type a search of the above in google and download the software as it's free and a small file is size.

In terms of hardware tool's i.e. screw drivers, you can't go wrong with the "Stanley" brand of screw drivers. Cheerio and best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. Jay_7

Jay_7 Nibble Poster

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP
    WIP: CCNA 200-120
  10. BosonMichael

That's my point... he probably already knows where the river is. He's asking US which fish are worth eating. Capisce?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. BosonMichael

Although my "toolbox" is horribly out of date, I'm currently carrying around:

- BartPE
    - BGInfo
    - Cisco SDM
    - various IOS images and config files
    - MVPCInfo
    - Wireshark
    - Belarc Advisor
    - NetCPS
    - CPUCount
    - Angry IP Scanner
    - SolarWinds TFTP Server
    - Netstumbler
    - SpeedFan
    - Hmonitor
    - TrendMicro Internet Security 2008
    - AVG Free
    - RootkitRevealer
    - HiddenFinder
    - KillBox
    - Server 2003 Admin Pack

12. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

&
    Thanks there Boson :D Spot on.

Thanks for this, looks good but I think I'll leave this un-installed until I know more about the registry and services :blink

SpyBot, great idea, I forgot I have this somewhere. I like the idea of a linux distro on there. Magicaljellybean's going on, one of those 'Will come in handy when you least expect it' kind of apps. And great link for the Sysinternals, havn't seen that before :( I've put a couple on there (BSoD Mwahaha!)

Gonna take me a while to have a look through all of these, thanks for the list though.