A+ study material, exam info

Discussion in 'A+' started by JonG, Jul 8, 2009.

1. JonG

JonG New Member

Hi,

I recently joined this excellent and friendly forum as I'm about to self-study to sit the CompTIA A+ exam in the near future, I am also looking to complete the N+ (N10-003?) after the A+ is done and dusted.

I understand there are two exams as part of the CompTIA A+ qualification, exams 220-601 Essentials and 220-602 IT Technician? I'm wondering are these the ones most people go for and are they the most current exams to take?

I'm looking at getting the following literature to prepare for the A+:

'CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition' by Mike Meyers'
    'PC Technician Street Smarts: A Real World Guide to CompTIA A+ Skills' by James Pyles'
    'CompTIA A+ Practice Questions Exam Cram (Essentials, Exams 220-602, 220-603, 220-604)' by Charles J Brooks'

One last thing, do you need to take an old computer in for one of the exams to dismantle as a sort of practical exam, or is it purely a written exercise for both?

Thank you for reading and my apologies if its been asked hundreds of times. I looked at the Guide to Self-Study pinned thread which outlined literature and exam info but the original post was dated from 2006, so wondered whether this still applied to 2009 for both the A+ and N+. Many thanks!

Regards,

Jon.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You have to take the 220-601 exam and you choose one other but yes most people choose the 220-602 exam as their elective.

you book the exams through www.pearsonvue.co.uk and you will find your nearest test center on there too,

You can get discount vouchers from www.gracetechsolutions.com make sure you buy two international ones as the others are for US and Canada.

All exams are done on a computer and are multiple choice.

The current A+ exams change next year but if you take them before then, then you will be doing the 2006 objectives. The N+ has recently changed and there will be newer books out for it soon. but the ones you have chosen will do for the A+

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. JonG

JonG New Member

Many thanks Greenbrucelee.

I will get hold of those books and get cracking on preparing for those two exams asap 8). Thanks for advice.

Regards,

Jon.

4. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

Im thinking about booking my 601 and 602 exams to sit at the end o the month and wanted to buy decent exam practice software and came across the software advertised by "gracetechsolutions". they do a bundle deal that if you buy both the 601 and 602 exams together you an buy each practice exam for only $39 which is only £24. They are $99 full price if you buy them without buying the real exams. not bad

If anyone has tried these exams out let me know what you think

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST, N+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Why don't you try a demo and see for yourself?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. tysfoot

tysfoot Byte Poster

Whops, i made a mistake, i very nearly bought the american vouchers and not the international ones, do they do discounts for international vouchers, i cant seem to see a bundle of both exams together for in international vouchers.

Also wanted to ask if i do find and buy the discounted 601 and 602 bundle exams, do i have to sit them both on the same day

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST, N+
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

No you don't have sit both the same day but I did and when I bought the international vouchers they were £107 each and you got a glossary of terms pdf and some N+ prep material which had diagrams of connectors and stuff, never bought any bundle.

Your best of buying bosons A+ exams anyway...trust me on this.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. xhunter08

xhunter08 Bit Poster