A+... shall I do it?

Discussion in 'A+' started by beaumontdvd, Feb 7, 2010.

1. beaumontdvd

beaumontdvd Kilobyte Poster

Hi all, I'm really debating whether I shall study the A+ or not. I was supposed to be going on towards the mcse but I dont think I have had enough experience for that and would rather get all the entry level qualifications as I'm around that stage. I'm aware of the 2011 A+ rules ect. But does anyone recommend it if I can finish it by December this year?

Also it is two exams isn't it? Does anyone know the numbers of the exams :oops:

I appreciate all comments.

Thanks everyone,

Dave

Certifications: 070-271, 070-272, (MCDST)Level 1,2,3 NVQ
    WIP: 070-270, A+, N+, S+,MCDST 7 Upgrade
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

If you don't have the experience and cannot see yourself having more work experience past the 270, the argument to do the A+ or Net+ is more biased towards doing it. This is assuming you don't have anything else you want to do with your time off that is! :D

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. beaumontdvd

Yeah mate I think I might do it, I think I will move on from the 270 once I have more experience. Just get the 270 over and done with so I know the basics. Well my life seems to be wake up study, Cod, shower, Cod, study, look for a job, go out for a drink with a few mates, watch a dvd with the girlfriend then bed LOL. Im sure I can fit A+ somewhere into that 8) Maybe N+ too? I want to do that but is it worth it do you reckon?

Thanks for the help mate :)

Dave

4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

First of all - less fish may help! :twisted:

Second - I work with some guys who are MCSE-ish, others 20 years experience, and I can still pull a few ideas out of the hat when they have exhausted their suggestions. Not all are winners, but some are, and all are from my A+ and Net+ studies.

I don't want this to extend into "do you support Comptia" blah blah blah discussions, but I feel the material contained within those certs are useful.

Third - unfortunately, so I've found, we have to dedicate the time to studying, as it won't come any other way. Purely depends how much you want it - my gf has been away all weekend, and I've managed quite a few hours worth of study. Some may think it is a waste of time, others may have better things to do - at this moment in time I do not and so throw myself at it. It all depends on your own situation, circumstances, how much you want to move on, how understanding your partner is etc.etc.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  5. Bongo_Fury

Bongo_Fury Bit Poster

Exam numbers are:

220-601 Essentials ( you have to take this ).

Then its a choice of:

220-602 IT Technician or 220-603 Help Desk Technician or 220-604 Depot Technician.

Certifications: A+ MCDST
    WIP: N+
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Or you can get with the times and do 220-701 & 702.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. Bongo_Fury

Bongo_Fury Bit Poster

Indeed :biggrin The 600 series are still going until 31st of August i believe.

Certifications: A+ MCDST
    WIP: N+
  8. beaumontdvd

yeah mate I agree, I think I will wait untill August :D
    It seems like a good cert to have, especially an entry level :twisted:
    yeah at the moment it makes it easier to study when the girlfriend is at work lol! Every little bit of studying is worthit, I guess when I was at school I wouldn't be saying that but now I like to learn as much as I can 8) Thanks for your advice mate its much appreciated :)

Dave

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you don't have to wait until August to do the 700 series for the A+ it has been running for quite some time. It just the 600 retires in August.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd recommend it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. beaumontdvd

Which is more beneficial 600 series or 700? Is the 700 series the more updated exam?

Also is it worth doing network + and security +

Regards,
    Dave

12. beaumontdvd

I think I will do it, I'm just debating 600 series or 700 and if I should go the whole way and do security + and network +?

Regards,
    Dave

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Doesn't matter, really. I have yet to hear of an employer caring which version of the A+ exam you took. Since the A+ All-in-One 7th edition has now been published, might as well go for the new version (700s). If you've already got a 6th edition book, and you think you can knock out both exams by July/August, then go for the old version (600s).

Yes, it's worth doing Network+.

Personally, I'd recommend holding off on Security+ until you've built up a little security-based experience. If you don't already have an entry-level IT job, it's not likely to help you a great deal in getting an entry-level IT job.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. beaumontdvd

Ok mate thanks for the help, I think I will do my 270 and then work on the 700's as I wont finish the 270 till about march / april. I will also do network + aswell then and maybe the upgrade exam for the mcdst to windows 7 (cant remember the number) thanks for your help :biggrin I can start buying some of the books now,

Cheers,
    Dave