A Question In Prepartaion For the A+ Exam.

Discussion in 'A+' started by Professor-Falken, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

This question has been paraphrased from a practice test question I came across. I could find information in the Mike Meyers book anywhere about this could someone help me. To understand.

A Computer Repair Technician is installing Windows XP Professional on a computer using a disk image from another Windows XP computer. After installing the disk image, which maintenance activity must be performed before the computer can successfully boot?

Repair the Windows XP installation.
    Reinstall the Windows XP installation
    Boot up in Safe Mode, and run the sys c: command
    Boot up the command prompt, and run the winnt32.exe command.

Repairing the Windows XP installation is the maintenance activity that must be carried out before the computer can successfully boot. The repair step will detect hardware and tune the installation to match the specific hardware in the computer. When installing using a disk image you may receive an NTLDR is missing error message if you have not repaired the installation. This is because the original NTLDR file may point to an invalid boot device.

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Prof,

What is it that you don't understand?:blink

Rather that using questions why not try and ask us your own question directly relating to the area that you are struggling with.

3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You've already posted the answer Prof!

When you clone an image from one workstation to another, there's a chance that the imaged workstation doesn't have the necessary files (specifically in this case the NTLDR - NT Boot Loader) in the correct places.

In order to boot an NT system, the MBR (Master Boot Record) will look at the root of the partition for the boot.ini file, NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM.

If these files don't exist (because they're in a different location after being imaged, or for some other reason) then Windows can't boot up. Running an installation repair (or, for the luddites out there, just booting from a Boot Floppy) will do the trick

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'll try and answer this on a case-by-case basis.

This is correct because the installation is mostly there - but needs adjusting to fit the machine.
    Wrong because this is equivalent here to a cold install, and the copy of an image was supposed to bypass that.
    Wrong because a) This is a Win9x command and b) it only deals with the boot sector rather than the whole installation.
    Wrong because this will cause a complete installation, which the use of an image was supposed to bypass.

Hope this helps.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I may also have it all arse about, but I thought the main reason was due to the HAL.:oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

True - this is an important part of it.

My posting was based around the fact that the question didn't mention HAL.

IMHO one of the most important parts of passing these exams is reading the question and considering exactly what it says, and what it doesn't mention.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

IIRC if the HAL isn't the same then an image will not work at all regardless of whether you do a repair.

The repair basically re-installs all the previously installed OS files and kicks off the plug and pray enumerator. This will re-detect and configure any hardware devices, which should work in most cases.

Here is a linky..

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Windo...016f-4724-9a0f-04871abadd1a1033.mspx?mfr=true

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)