A question for the Cert "Pro's"

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by KennoKennedy1989, Jan 1, 2008.

1. KennoKennedy1989

KennoKennedy1989 New Member

I have just a small question for all you guy's at the site, which I have to say I love what you done with the place!

I am 18 and after taking 2 A-Levels' in appiled ICT I felt I wanted to go futher into the machine more than just Office work.

I have passed my Cisco IT Essental's 1 and i'm currently well into the second segment of the CCNA (Discoverly if that helps) and I am wondering would it be worth me taking my A+ and how far along should I go before thinking about taking the N+ (Like complete the CCNA first etc)

Only reason i'm asking about the CompTia qual's is that I can't seem to rack my brains around the Microsoft qual's, not the information but the idea of what qualifcation should be took when and what level they all are! (Theres soooo many :-( )

Anyway thanks for your advise in advance, and I hope to become a good member of your wonderfull site!

Thanks

Certifications: Cisco Essental's 1 - CCNA
    WIP: MCDST
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

The obvious question is "What do you want to do with the certs"! :biggrin

Now I know this isn't easy at your age (for some cases), but it is important.

In the larger scheme of things, then A+ and N+ are great 'starter' certs, and because they are vendor neutral will help to supplement the CCNA.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, the A+ and Network+ would be a worthwhile addition to your CV.

If you do want to go down the Microsoft route in the future then perhaps go for the MCDST.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The CCNA won't do you much good in your IT career until you've built some real-world IT job experience first and started getting your hands on some real-life production Cisco equipment. This is because the CCNA has nothing to do with what you'll be allowed to do as an entry-level tech. In fact, getting the CCNA without experience can be interpreted as a "red flag" by managers, which can hurt your entry-level job search (I can explain why if you haven't already read it elsewhere on these forums).

I'd highly recommend that you work on A+ and get you an entry-level IT job. Start building experience and pursue the Network+ and/or MCDST (that's about as far as I'd recommend certifying until you build experience).

The CCNA is worth pursuing... just not right now. Besides, your CCNA certification will expire in 3 years, and you'll likely have to recertify it before you can even start using those skills in the real world.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. KennoKennedy1989

KennoKennedy1989 New Member

Thanks for all you quick answers to my questions (I must seem like a total plonker)

I'm going to finish the CCNA, mostly I could never look my course friends in the eye if I quit and its also the last thing I can have covered (Course fee's) by the goverment due to my age!! :P

Anyway this MCDST you have quoted to me, anyone mind giving me a little over view?

Is it a qual you learn from a book? Or do I have to take a course somewere in it?

Thanks anyway!

Certifications: Cisco Essental's 1 - CCNA
    WIP: MCDST