a question about "any" keyword

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by kobem, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

when we write any we mention 0.0.0.0(ip address) 0.0.0.0(wildcard mask) BUT i have to give an example
    a part that i didn't understand!

think that there are three routers in environment , one of them
    is sydney the others are berlin and tokyo and each router
    is connected each other like

sydney - berlin - tokyo

and also each router is connected a hub and hub has hosts

sydney - berlin - tokyo

hub hub hub

host 1 host 2 host 1 host 2 host 1 host 2

- : serial cables

sydney s0 : 192.168.118.1 e0(to hub) : 192.168.1.1

berlin s0 : 192.168.5.1 e0(to hub) :192.168.121.1

s1 : 192.168.118.2

tokyo s1 : 192.168.5.2 e0(to hub): 192.168.134.1

the question : configure and apply an acl that will block telnet access to the sydney router without inhibiting all other traffic , acl should be applied to tokyo router

ANSWER : tokyo(config)#access-list 101 deny tcp any 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 eq 23

tokyo(config)#access-list 101 deny tcp any 192.168.118.0 0.0.0.0 eq 23

.......... access-list 101 permit ip any any

.........interface ethernet 0
    ip access-group 101 in

........ exit

........ interface serial 0
    ........ ip access-group 101 in

MY QUESTION : tokyo(config)#access-list 101 deny tcp any 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 eq 23

tokyo(config)#access-list 101 deny tcp any 192.168.118.0 0.0.0.0 eq 23

we say "any" and we mean source but there is something
    i didn't get with this "any"

we write this any on tokyo and deny telnet but THIS "ANY" MEANS ANY HOSTS UNDER TOKYO ROUTER?

IF THIS ANY ONLY ABOUT TOKYO ROUTER NOT ANY IN THIS WHOLENETWORK , HOSTS UNDER BERLIN WILL TELNET TO SYDNEY BECAUSE CODES SAY SO , AM I WRONG?

Certifications: CCNA
  2. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

You see, that's the problem with relying on braindumps, it doesn't teach you the principles to be able to work this out yourself, and you are dependent on badly written questions and potentially incorrect answers.

You can't apply an acl on the Tokyo router that will control access to the router in Sydney from Berlin.

And I suggest you revise your learning on the use of wildcards in acl's. They are NOT the same as subnet masks.

What I really suggest, is you start learning this again, at the beginning. Use (legal) test questions when you UNDERSTAND something, and want to get ready for the exam: you're trying to run when you need some serious walking practice..... Seriously, this stuff isn't easy, you just can't rush it the way you're trying.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Excellent advice, MacAllen. Whether Kobem will listen or not is the question.

That old saw about being able to lead a horse to water but still not be able to make him drink is really true....

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

sorry but what i am try to say is

denying telnet from "any host or network" to 192.168.1.1
    and also from any to 192.168.1.18.0 network prevents
    the traffic ONLY FROM TOKYO

in this case BERLIN HOSTS WILL TELNET SO I THINK
    WE ALSO WRITE ACL DENYING TELNET FROM BERLIN TO THESE
    INTERFACES

AM I WRONG?

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Are you just studying stuff at random? :blink

Now that I know you resort to using braindumps, everything is clear about why you have a lack of basic knowledge.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

what are you trying to say?

i think if we write them tokyo router , berlin still telnet sydney!
    so we additionally write acls to berlin router

7. BosonMichael

I'm trying to say that you don't know what you need to know because you use braindumps... which are illegal collections of questions stolen from the live exam. Using them can get you decertified for life... Cisco considers it cheating, plain and simple.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

all of this is greek to me, but just as a random guess.

Surely if you want to prevent telnet access onto the sydney router you do the acl on the sydney router? That prevents telnet from any source, and is easier to manage (in my mind at least).

To me, if I was told there was a restriction on telnetting to a specific router, I would assume it was set on that particular router, not every other router in the company. If nothing else it would be a bloody nightmare to manage. If you ever wanted to switch it off you would have to go round every single router to delete the acl.

am i totally wrong here?

And I believe What Michael is saying, is that there is no consistency to what you are asking for help with. You seem to be jumping back and forth asking questions about all sorts of things, when you dont appear to understand the basics of the subject at hand. This is made more obvious when we consider you use a known braindump site.

What you need to do is go right back to basics, buy a couple of books covering the topic from the ground up, and work from there. Dont go to the advanced topics until you understand the foundations.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Stop shouting!

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  10. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Did you mean stop posting random junk stolen from brain dumps? :)

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  11. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

That to... and SHOUTING :biggrin

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Looks like it's time to do some "moderation".

First issue: posting information acquired from braindump site. Here's a quick definition of braindumping:

This site does not support the use of braindumps and anyone asking questions based on braindump information is likely to get the "cold shoulder" rather than get help.

Also, typing in all capital letters is the Internet equivalent of shouting so please stop typing in all capital letters.

Now that that's out of the way, what are you actually studying for and are you using any legitimate study guides or sources? If you are using legal sources, please post what they are and my advice is to start using the legal sources and lose the braindump information.

By its very nature, braindumping is a very inaccurate way to transfer information and even if the braindumper is able to perfectly remember the questions long enough to write them down after leaving the testing center, they still probably won't know all of the correct answers.

Consequences to continuing to post braindump content are the locking of all relevant threads (no one will be able to post to a locked thread ever again) and at least temporary banning of your user account at CertForums (you won't be able to post to any threads until the ban is lifted).

Please consider this a warning.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. BosonMichael

...and more importantly, they won't know how to actually DO the job, as they won't have learned the concepts... they will have only memorized a bunch of questions and answers. And that's where the lack of basic knowledge comes from when you use braindumps.

14. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sorry Trip, Are you saying we write this any on tokyo and deny telnet but THIS "ANY" MEANS ANY HOSTS UNDER TOKYO ROUTER?

IF THIS ANY ONLY ABOUT TOKYO ROUTER NOT ANY IN THIS WHOLENETWORK , HOSTS UNDER BERLIN WILL TELNET TO SYDNEY BECAUSE CODES SAY SO , AM I WRONG?

I hate myself sometimes...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  15. BosonMichael

That's uncanny... you sound just like him. :eek:

16. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I thought this thread was a question on the "any" key??? I must stop watching the Simpsons!!!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  17. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am watching the simpson too, but this guy is using braindumps and he has posted a similar question somewhere else with the same crap in it.

all I am saying to kobem is if you have to use braindumps then your a cheat, you should study and understand your subject yourself not just get told answers.

What are going to do if a problem comes up in your career were you should know how to resolve it but cant because your a lazy cheat.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  18. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Everyone. Stop. You've all had your say about the whole braindump situation and I agree. I've posted my formal response, now let kobem have a chance to respond.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  19. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

OK guys here's the deal here. A Sen Mod has replied to this thread stating the rules of CF regarding this situation. By all means reports offending threads, but lets not keep posting about it. The OP has been publicly warned and there is no reason to carry on posting in the thread until the OP has at least had the chance to reply or PM the member of staff that is dealing with the issue.

We are all of the same opinion of cheating, but please don't post taking the mickey. Some people do not know better than those of us in the know. If they are Bd'ers you can be sure the staff will deal with it ASAP and we only need telling once.

I will also state that if such posting continues then, with regret, I will be forced to serve notice of closure of the thread.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  20. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Let me first put a disclaimer here. I am not trying to jerk the chains of the powers that be.

However, I do have a question. This is not the first time, in just the past couple of days I have seen Kobem post copyrighted material. It's the third, if my memory serves me correctly. Just how many chances does he get, as he has ignored every request made to delete the material and rephrase his questions? He started this thread after being told on two other threads not to post braindump questions. That does not show very much respect for the site or an attitude of willingness to listen to anybody. It's more like, well, you didn't like that, so see this?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1