A+ query

Discussion in 'A+' started by Echalon, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Echalon

Echalon New Member

Hi all

I am unsure of a couple of things. Firstly, will the Myers book cover all aspects of A+ enough to pass the exam?

Secondly, i have read thru the links for Thompson and alike, but the sticky thread mentions registering with them to find a test center near you. I dont understand why you need to register with them first. Cant u go directly to the test center, pay the money, take the exam and thats it?

Ps - how long does it take after you finished the exam before you know if you passed and when do you get your certificate?

Apologies for dumb questions, trying to get a lot organised in very short space of time :)

Certifications: I have a license to throw tomatoes
    WIP: 2 double cheeseburgers and fries
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

1. The Meyers book is excellent and covers all of the material you will encounter on the exam. I do highly recommend that you have a couple of "test" PCs lying around that you can work on. Experience doing the work will vastly improve your chances of passing the first time.

2. Think of each testing center as an independent contractor. Thomson and VUE are the companies that provide the testing software to the centers, thus you can only get to your local center through the primary vendor.

3. You find out instantly if you've passed or not. The software calculates your score based on your answers and returns it immediately after you have finished the test. The test center staff will print out the results so you have a hardcopy for your records until you get your certificate. As far as how long it takes to actually get the certificate, I've heard anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks. Don't worry, you'll still be an A+, even before it arrives.

No worries about the questions, m8. That's what we're here for. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

The Meyers all in one will get you through but as usual it is always up to you and how much you put into it. You might also want to pick up another one, like an examcram or a cramsession to summarize with.

Ok I might have it wrong but when I rang my local testing center they told me to register with either one of them. When I did this and went to book my exam , during the process I was asked to choose which testing center I wanted to do my exam at, as well as the time.

You will find out immediately if you passed and what your score was. The only thing is at the end of the exam you might have to fill in a survey first. This really wound me up as I clicked on the finish exam button and then was presented with this survey crap for 5-10 minutes before I eventually got my score. Nervewracking to say the least.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. Echalon

Echalon New Member

hehe yea surveys suck

Thanks guys, thats made it more clear now and understand the concept. Also looked thru those sample questions you guys posted on another thread and they are very good. Im getting 70% odd without looking at the book yet (hasnt arrived)

I have built about 50 pcs, most recent being PCI express with dual PSU and Coolermaster water cooling, with a well modified grahpics card. I am well at home in amongst boxes of hardware that needs installing or micro-soldering.......my memory just sucks! Learning the techie terms is the hardest for me and takes a lot of repetative reading and noting down things to wedge that info in sumwhere :blink

Thanks again guys, sure to be back with another few questions. I will register on those sites once i have gone thru at least half the book.

Adios
    :D

Certifications: I have a license to throw tomatoes
    WIP: 2 double cheeseburgers and fries
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I remember taking the MS 70-215 exam a few years back. I hosed the damn thing and was pretty depressed. They presented the survey *after* you saw your score back then. I'm sure my emotional state affected my survey answers. They now offer the survey *before* you get the score. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I think you'll find most people find that aspect of the A+ hard matey. There is quite allot of material to take in and lots of terms and tables of info to remember.

Your experience with hardware will stand you in good stead though when it comes to the troubleshooting aspects of the exam etc...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

8. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster