A+ QOTD for June 18th

Discussion in 'A+' started by tripwire45, Jun 18, 2004.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Fergal Reilly is a working on some older PCs for his home study lab. He is adding a second hard drive to one of his lab machines to expand its storage capacity. Of the options below, which ones will help Fergal accomplish his goal with the least amount of effort? Select two answers. Each answer represents part of the solution.

A. Fergal should set the jumper settings on the first HDD to Single and set the jumper settings on the second HDD to Master.
    B. Fergal should set the jumper settings on the first HDD to Master and set the jumper settings on the second HDD to Slave.
    C. Fergal should set the jumper settings on the first HDD to Single and set the jumper settings on the second HDD to Slave.
    D. Fergal should make sure the first HDD is connected to the first connector on the end of the hard drive ribbon cable and connect the second HDD to the second connector located in the mid section of the same cable.
    E. Fergal should make sure the first HDD is connected to the connector on the first hard drive ribbon cable and connect the second HDD to a second ribbon cable attached to the second IDE controller on the motherboard.
    F. Fergal should make sure the first HDD is connected to the first connector located in the mid second of the cable and connect the second HDD to the second connector located at the end of the ribbon cable.

Answer later.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

B and D for me.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Put me down for B and D too....

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Def B&D

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

by the looks of things B & D, but had i not seen the others answers, i prolly would answer B & F, for some reason, i seem to think that the first connector on the cable would be the master, with the connector at the end being the slave.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

B and either D or F .........

Ok, I say B and F

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Correct answer is B and D. The two drives would be located on the same ribbon cable connected to the same IDE controller on the motherboard. This means one has to be a master and the other the slave. Usually there is a small diagram on the HDD case that shows how to configure the jumpers for each setting. The traditional place for the master is at the connector at the end of the cable. The slave is usualy attached at the connector located in the middle of the cable.

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

No worries, Gav. It's not like I've exactly covered myself with glory today. :oops: