A+ QOTD for July 1st

Discussion in 'A+' started by tripwire45, Jul 1, 2004.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Tom is a hardware technician working for a series of video stores. Some of the stores use older model PCs. Tom has just gotten a call from the manager of one store. The manager’s PC is an older Micron with a 12 GB HDD. The manager says the hard drive is getting full and wants to know what can be done. Tom considers using a third-party utility such as Norton’s Ghost to make an image of the hard drive and place the image on a larger hard drive then install the new hard drive in this computer. Unfortunately, the budget for new hardware for the month has been exhausted and it will take a week to get approval to by a new hard drive. As an alternative, Tom decides just to compress the data on the hard drive to provide more room. This will be quite cost effective and Tom can wait on buying new hard drives and save the company some funds. Tom tells the IT admin what he intends to do and is surprised to hear that this is a bad idea. What could be wrong with Tom’s solution?

A. Compressed drives typically run much slower, making it more difficult to access files.
    B. Compressed drives really don’t create that much more extra space and Tom should just wait until he can get approval to buy another drive.
    C. Compressed drives can have a flaw that results in some of the compressed files not being able to uncompress resulting in their not being able to be read.
    D. Compressed drives are more likely to become corrupted resulting in loss of some or all of the data. This should be an interim step and only used as a last resort until a new HDD can be purchased.

Choose only one answer. Answer later.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I think u got me off guard on this one Trip but I am taking at stab at D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Thanks. I'm trying to make these somewhat challenging. It doesn't do anyone any good to put up a bunch of questions that everyone knows the answers to right off the top of their head. If you have to look something up, then you've learned something new that you can take with you.

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

A for me - there is a significant overhead attached to using compression on drives.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I think I will pick A.:rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

A

I like the way you've included a story, and brought in aspects of the situation which have no bearing on the actual problem and solution.
    This is what MS do to catch you out and slow you down.
    It's aim is to make you quicker at cutting through the cr@p and dealing with the matter at hand in the real world, I presume.

7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Can I change my answer or is that not allowed?

8. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

I'm jumpin on the bandwagon. A please.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

This isn't the Army, noelg24. You can change your answer but obviously, your original answer is still up. There's no prizes for "winning" and no demerits for "losing". It's all about learning. I'm not keeping score. Besides...what makes you think the rest of these folks know what they're talking about??? :biggrin

10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

good point Trip...well I cant be bothered anyway so I'll go with the flow and say A....and if thats wrong well at least my first answer is still on the board :biggrin

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

No worries. Have a good time in London.

12. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Thanks I will try to...if the parents dont go asking weird questions to Louisa...poor lass...:eek:

13. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

ill go A as well

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Like when you're getting married??? :blink

15. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

oh no not that Trip...its abit more complicated and rather delicate so thats all im saying...:eek:

16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Sorry. I'll mind my own business. :oops:

17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Back on topic. Correct answer is D. Noelg24 was the only one who got it. Sometimes the bandwagon isn't the way to go. The compression process can corrupt files on the HDD so it isn't always the best way to go. More next time.