A+ Pass Mark?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Matthew1985, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Matthew1985

Matthew1985 New Member

Hi. I'm planning on doing the exams for the A+ soon but does anyone know what the pass % is? On the CompTIA Website all I can find is the pass marks (515 for hardware & 505 for OS) but it don't seem to say what the max mark is.

And the tests are all multiple choice right?

Thanks for the help. :)

Certifications: MCSA, MCDST. A+
    WIP: MCSE
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Pass mark is 505 out of 900 points. 8)

3. laup

laup Byte Poster

57% for a laugh

Certifications: IC3,A+, N+, 70-270, CCNA
    WIP: CCDA/Job :>
  4. Mac70

Mac70 Bit Poster

Why is it so low?

Certifications: Zilcho
    WIP: Considering MCDST
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

is that a bad thing? 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Matthew1985

Matthew1985 New Member

I thought it would be higher than that. Thanks for the help.

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Actually, it's on a scale from 100-900, not 0-900.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

yeah when i last gave it, it was all multiple choice...

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  9. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Still is, ive got my OS tomorrow

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  10. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

Gudluck with that mate! :thumbleft

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  11. sakuraba1982

sakuraba1982 Nibble Poster

so if its marked out of 80 questions

you get 100 points given to you so you have 800 points which means 10 points per question so in theory to pass the OS section of the exam you need to get at least 51 out of 80 doesn't sound that bad,

Certifications: A+ N+ MCSA 2003
  12. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Some of the questions are weighted to score more highly and they occasionally like to add in questions they're trialling which don't count towards your final score. The best thing to do is test yourself beforehand with some test software and once you're getting over 80% on the practices, you can be pretty confident you're ready for the real thing.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  13. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

At the moment its 100 questions, as they are throwing trial ones in for the new exams, as said above (they arent marked, and your not 100% sure what the trial ones are either)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  14. tommiewommie

tommiewommie New Member

Hey,

I am new here. For the moment i'm studying for my A+ but I still don't know what the ratings are (in %), what do you need to pass your exams.
    Second question. You only need to pass 2 exams to get your certificate, but you can do 4. I'm intended to do all four, but when i only pass 2 or 3, do i still get my certificate or must i start all over again.
    Sorry for (maby) bad english, it's not my language.

15. PartyBoyUK

PartyBoyUK New Member

Matt,

passmark for A+ core hardware is 515 (took it last month). They do ask quite a few questions on customer service & a few relating to OS, so look out for those. Some questions also carry no marks (Comptia testing i believe). Good luck

16. Newbie19

Newbie19 Bit Poster

Took the O.S test today & failed with a 453, I took an instructor led course from element K, & 1 from mike meyers, did practice exams from test king, cert guaranteed, & actual tests .com & was scoring in the 90's on all of these, also took the ru ready test from study4less & scored in the 90's. I dont know whats going on but the majority of what was on that exam is not what I studied, I actually came close to getting up & asking the administrator if I was taking the right test, I took the hardware a month & a half ago & got a 790 on it & used the same materials to study with. Just wondering if anyone else had same experiance, it wasnt like oh I remember seeing that, what is it, it was like I dont have a clue what they are talking about

17. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

mate - im gonna be a cnut for once and say serves you right!

why? cuz the sites you done practice exams are BrainDumps. That piece of paper you signed -Non Disclosure, well you violated it, and even if you say to me that you never knew that they were braindumps, i still wouldn't believe ya, cuz the amount of site you listed!

the reason you never had a clue about what came up in the exam is cuz you dont have a clue, you just tried to cheat and good for you that you failed, too bad you never failed on the other one aswell, you jam jam...

seriously though, why did you sell your soul to the devil? next time you gonna take the exam, think twice? Do you really deserve to pass this exam with your all of your hard work?

edit: just to let you know why i take this shi7 personally, is cuz i work my balls over for my exams and failed one of them, and then i get clowns who get paid more than me, work less than me know jack's poo about anything! was having a good evening before i read your comment - thanks! NOT!

18. Newbie19

Newbie19 Bit Poster

Please forgive me for being naive, but I have no idea what a brain dump is or what it is that I have violated, as I said I took the course, studied every day from the books for months, then used these practice exams that the instructor gave us to test myself on what i had learned, what exactly did I cheat at? I have successfully repaired over 320 computers, so even though I know for some of you thats nothing, I do have some knowledge of what Im doing.

19. Matthew1985

Matthew1985 New Member

I did the hardware exam on friday and got 662 so I passed. :biggrin I did get a few customer service questions but found them really easy. I even got 2 questions twice. :blink

20. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The three websites that you listed as doing practice exams from are what are commonly known as Braindumps.

Braindumps are the actual exam questions and are illegal as they break the Non Disclosure agreement that you agree to at the start of your exam. There are numerous other Test Prep sites out there that don't use actual questions and will offer you detailed explanations to questions to aid you in your learning.

For help in determining the differences take a look at this thread.

It seems to me that if your tutor passed this material onto you then it is him that is at fault, and should be reported accordingly.

8)