A+ (Opinions Please)

Discussion in 'A+' started by he-is, Jan 9, 2008.

1. he-is

he-is New Member

Hi Everyone

I know everyones optinion is differen't but i wondered if any body who had passed the A+ or currently studying for it would like to comment on how easy they are finding it.

I am still slightly undecided between doing the A+ or another Microsoft Cert, found the MCDST not too taxing but a bit boring, i am wondering if something more hardware based would be more fun?

Certifications: MCDST
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Terms like "easy" and "fun" are in the "eye-of-the-beholder", so to speak. Frankly, even if a person loves a certain field of study or career path, there will always be certain parts of it that aren't exactly exciting or fun. Also, if this stuff were all that "easy", it wouldn't be interesting, at least to me. Part of what's really interesting for me in terms of learning in general, is "conquering" a subject...that is, taking something difficult for me to understand and do and learning how it works...mastering the skill.

If the MCDST material was boring and/or difficult and you plan on making a career of desktop support, you're in trouble. You might want to go over that material and try to discover *why* you are having issues with it.

That said, it doesn't hurt to build a foundation on the A+ certification course work. I can't promise that it will be fun (some parts are really fun for me...other parts bore me to tears), but just about everyone I know in IT from support to software developers, to network admins, have a basic understanding of how computers work relative to their jobs.

Sorry, that's the best I can do to answer your question. As you mentioned, each person will perceive these subjects in very different ways. Gather all the opinions you need but in the end, you'll still need to find your own path.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Hmmm, I was under the impression that the MCDST was a slighlty "higher" certification than the A+. Is that not the case?

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Like Trip said

It really depends where/what route you want to go down, so that question really is "fuzzy".

No, they are the same level on the NQF. They both sit at level 2. See my previous post here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Trip's right. I like chemistry and physics; other people hate them. Some people like repetitive jobs where they don't have to think; I'd go crazy. Thus, some people will enjoy the A+, and others will think it's nothing but drudgery.

Absolute words of wisdom. You're not just studying for an exam... you're studying to be a better tech. Support of users is the sole reason our jobs exist, from help desk tech all the way up to IT manager. Desktop support is how we can have the biggest affect on the users. Thus, desktop support techs can help users enjoy technology, or cause them to hate it. It's a crucial job. If you don't enjoy doing that sort of stuff... then you'll be more likely to be one of "those techs" who the users... and management... talk about in a negative light.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If its so easy then why not get it add the cert to your CV the more certs and qualifications you have upto a certain point (depending on your experience) can only be a good thing.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I have recently completed the A+, and I believe I am correct in saying that it is hardware based, in so far as it looks at the innards of the PC, from processor, cache, RAM, hard drives, optical drives, cables and so forth. It's not just that obviously... there is the customer focused side to it as well, but then that is a major part of being an IT 'guy' (I include any female members of the forum as honorary guys ... 8))

From what I have read about the MCDST (and I have read both of the Microsoft Official Course books - 2261C and 2262B), that is aimed primarily at the MS XP software and the support of users using it and applications running on it. Not so much of the hardware side of things there...

So, if you want to do more with hardware, then A+ should be next on your list. And, with your underlying experience, you should find it relatively painless but enjoyable nontheless. And who knows? Like me, you may find out loads you never even realised you didn't know! :oops:

8. krashed

krashed New Member

Just an opinion but I'm finding studying the A+ fun. I'm self studying using the Mike Meyers all in one book Parts of it is challenging but it's empowering to know what's what under the hood, plus i've rediscovered the joys of the command prompt.

WIP: A+
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You are correct, Giddy, on all counts. You've nailed the essence of the A+ and MCDST exams. Additionally, you are quite correct that you can learn a LOT by studying for a certification, even those certifications you believe are "too basic" for your experience level.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. he-is

he-is New Member

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the comments about my question, i must apoligse for not wording my original post well. I was not implying that the A+ was easy i was asking how people were finding studying it, on reflection the question should have been how Easy/difficuly were people finding the A+.

Thanks again for the positive comments from everyone and apoliges if i appeared to be saying the A+ was easy it was never my intention, having never studied the A+ material i would never assume something i have not studied as easy.

I have however decied i will give the A+ a go and have got the Mike Meyers all in one study book, have only read the first few chapters but am enjoying it very much.

Anyway no doubt i will be posting in the future asking for help about the subject and once again no offence intedned with my original post

Certifications: MCDST
  11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Good choice :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?