A+ newbie with some questions

Discussion in 'A+' started by Ddan, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Ddan

Ddan Nibble Poster

Hi guys i want to become a+ certified by using the self study method.I currently have the mike myers all in one book but its the sixth edition, i have heard that there is a seveth edition do i need this or is the sixth edition sufficient .Am i correct in thinking that for the self study method i need to read the entire book, and understand everything then simply book the exams when I am ready? sorry if these seem like silly questions guys thanks in advance.

2. tech4life

tech4life Bit Poster

The seventh edition includes the Windows 7 chapters, the sixth edition includes the Windows Vista, there is not a massive amount of difference between Vista and 7 so if you already have the sixth edition book then there is no need to upgrade, if you actively use Windows 7 then you will find it pretty straight forward.
    I would recommend going through the entire book, that is what I am doing anyway. I thought I know a good chunk of what was in the book but taking the practice questions and using the bundled CD tests, I was wrong! You will have to deal with legacy hardware from time to time, so it will benefit you from time to time and give you a better understanding instead of just having partial knowledge.

Hope that has helped you.

3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Are you sure about this. I seem to remember the 6th edition being the one I needed for the 601/2/3/4 series?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
    Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. tech4life

tech4life Bit Poster

Yes I was totally wrong there, my mistake.
    The seventh edition is the book with the vista material and questions included, there is a separate book which includes just the Windows 7 material and questions.
    Here are both of those books:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...p=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=0071701338

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...p=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=0071763929

I believe the sixth edition is out of date now, as the new exams include the vista/windows 7 questions, so the seventh edition is the way to go now and the windows 7 book if you have no knowledge of said operating system.

P.S - Sorry I did not reply sooner, my earlier post went to moderation, tried again and it went straight through, not sure what happened.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  5. BASKIN

BASKIN Bit Poster

I was reading up on the 7th edition content and i heard its strictly based on windows 7? If you want the previous material which you will be tested on you will need the 6th edition?

Prof mess videos cover the bits that are missing ie windows 7 i think?

6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

BASKIN, tech4life has given you the correct info.

In my opinion, there must be minimal difference between Vista and Windows 7 questions as the main configuration screens are practically identical.
    Although CompTIA still specify Windows 2000 I'd ignore that. It's doubtful you'll get any questions on it and, if you're up to speed with the rest of the material, the odd question where you have to guess won't make any difference as to whether you pass or not.

I made the mistake of getting too caught up with trying to get 100% when I did the A+. What made me finally come to my senses was the CPU part of Mayer's book. I figured it was unlikely for any questions on capabilities of specific processors to crop up, so I just made sure I understood the material and noted some significant facts. If I was unlucky enough to get a question or two like that, I was prepared enough with the other material to make sure I passed.

In short, learn XP and either Vista or Windows 7 well and you should have, I reckon, at least 95% of the OS section covered.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
    Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  7. BASKIN

BASKIN Bit Poster

I've just recently ordered the 6th edition and its been dispatched, would it be a good idea to return this and use the 7th edition instead? Or would i still be able to get by with the 6th edition and using prof messer videos?

Thanks!

8. BASKIN

BASKIN Bit Poster

edit: sorry for the slight confusion: I have ordered the 7th edition but its the one without windows 7:

What i meant was should i have ordered the updated 7th edition with windows 7? I cant seem to post a link as im a new member but its titled as
    'Mike Meyers' Guide to Supporting Windows 7 for CompTIA A+ Certification' whereas the one i currently have is the old 7th edition titled
    'CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition'

9. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Baskin, the 7th All-In-One edition is good enough, just watch Professor Messer videos on the windows 7 content.

(I presume you've used Windows 7 or at least Windows Vista.)

In addition, remember the A+ is vendor neutral, so I won't expect so many questions on windows 7 except perhaps more of the features (ie: Bitlocker).

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  10. BASKIN

BASKIN Bit Poster

Cheers Boffy, thanks for clearing that up :)

Whilst on the topic of books would you or anyone recommend the exam cram books? think theres one from Pearson titled CompTIA A+ 220-701 and 220-702 Exam Cram (Exam Cram (Pearson)) on amazon.

I was thinking of using this once ive gone over the MM book and PM videos.

11. BASKIN

BASKIN Bit Poster

Thanks for the help Boffy :)

I've just like to add that i've passed my A+ and N+ 2 days ago :D

12. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

Congrats BASKIN

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
  13. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Congrats Baskin, what's your next goal? :)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  14. BASKIN

BASKIN Bit Poster

Thanks guys!

I actually dont know what i want to do. Work has left it up to me to look into a few certs so i really dont know where to start.

I was thinking either MCITP: EDST or EDA.. is it common for someone to go for these types of courses? (Im in a dekstop support role)

Thanks