A+ necessaties ?

Discussion in 'A+' started by shocksl, May 22, 2012.

1. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

Okay guys I will be studying for A+ and then N +

Can somebody please recommend me
    a)Is there a particular reference number/ code for the latest exam or is it just called A +?
    b)which study materials would I require or are best?
    c) How to structure my study (this would be greatly helpful for me)
    d) If you have any experience, how long did you take to study for it.

Thanks for any help.

2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Hi shocksl,

The current A+ exam is the 2009 objectives with the codes 220-701 (essentials) & 220-702 (practical).
    I used the GTS Learning Books and Professor Messer free tutorial videos to get myself through the exams.
    How you structure your exam is really down to your own best method of learning as we all learn in different ways, I asked the question myself before I began focusing on my studies, but found that I was better working in my own way of having the professor messer videos playing and a notepad where I could make my notes which would later become very useful to read through before my exam.
    I spent 12 months studying for both the exams, but to be honest, only around 3 months of this was really focused studying, the 9 months before I wasn't focused much at all.

Good Luck

James

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
    shocksl likes this.
  3. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

thank you soo much for that mate. great advice there. So when you say 3 months focused studying. How much time/ hours did you put in daily/ weekly?

Lastly with now you have completed the exam, have you managed to find a job? or are you doing a different exam etc?

4. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I was probably putting in around 10 hours a week studying, it took over my life but sometimes it's worth giving life a backseat whilst studying hard for the best end result to come through.

I am unsure which exam to take next, probably the MCITP 70-680 but at the moment am catching up with friends, family and the girlfriend as didn't see much of them all when doing the studies.

I have been working in IT for a few years in a helpdesk role, I didn't have any certifications before this one.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
    shocksl likes this.
  5. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

tell me about it mate, I also envisage a lonely summer studying. :( But on the plus side I hope it will pay off :)

Do you think the A+ has helped you alot. I know you saiud you was in I.T without any certs, but do you think the A+ covers almost all of what you do in the office. or is there other things I should learn on the side. I ask this because I havent worked in I.T before, dont have any certs. So I want to try to learn most things that I will need for a helpdesk role.

6. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

I've in in IT for 3 years now and only just passed my A+ last month. Even while reading the book I was learning stuff, yes it may not affect my daily tasks but it has come in handy to understand the process (ie: laser printer knowledge to know what needs replacing).

It will give you:

a) a knowledge of vendor neutral process of hardware & operating systems.
    b) easier time to get your mind and body into learning, while the content is relatively easier than Microsoft certs
    c) a certification to your name which you could gain in a few months - where as the MS certs will likely take you longer.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
    shocksl likes this.
  7. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

thats really good to hear boffy! it's exactly what i wanted to know. But with the knowledge should it ideally prepare me for a starters role?

Secondly which book (s) do you recommend and editions? I want to get stuck into it now. Shadow recommended GTS Learning Books . Do you know any specific book I should get, so I can start the learning process.

Also i noticed your doing/ or have done MOS. how difficult is that to do? how long did it take to you to learn it? ( do they expect you to know the excel fomulas etc too?)

8. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

The A+ alone will get you a job in IT on a tech support/helpdesk role - but don't think the A+ is all your need to beemployable - it simply lays the foundations to get the job while you continue to learn and improve.

In regards to resources, I'd recommend the book by Mike Meyers - All In One 7th Edition (CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Seventh Edition Exams 220-701 & 220-702: Amazon.co.uk: Michael Meyers: Books). It covers the 2009 objectives for both exams and has PLENTY of knowledge. Use that along with the FREE videos from Professor Messer (Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Microsoft Certification Training)

The MOS is more of a end-user certification. I'm taking it as I already bought the online course (£70) and will use it to teach the staff in my org. I've only read about 4 pages since I've had things keep me busy the last few weeks. I'll be focusing from next week so I'll have to let you know about the MOS :)

shocksl likes this.
  9. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

The A+ focuses on the core basic stuff you would need as say as a local PC repair shop technician. It doesn't cover more advanced topics to do with electronics or laptop repair etc.

MOS consists of certifications based around the individual Office products of Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, etc.

Its more of an 'Expert User' type certification that proves you can use that package say as a secretary, business analyst, pre sales etc.

It can be useful to IT folk if you need to explain the package to other employees.

shocksl likes this.
  10. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

thank you so much Boffy,

I've orderd the book, so should hopefully arrive in a day or 2.

How would you recommend me to do my study plan. Shall i read the whole book and make notes on it? or are there specific chapters. Also what about the proffesor messar are they systematically inline with the book, or in different order. So in that case I'll have to pick out the more relevant parts from both book and vids?

11. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

thanks mate, how long do people genereally take to pass a moss at expert level?

12. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

I'd watch professor messer videos, then read the book.

Professor Messer is great, he covers all the content but there is always that little bit of extra detail required...so get the basics from the videos, then sit down and read the book.

I won't lie, the book is a BEAST! 1100 odd pages, a geeks bible to say the least :)

13. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

oh man just thinking about 1100 pages makes me sick lol. Did you make your notes from the vids ? or did you spend more time writing notes from the book?

14. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Its very common for Cert training guides to be 800+ pages...

15. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

It's not 1100 pages of stuff you don't know though. Depending on your previous experience some of it may just require a bit of brushing up, some of it may require a bit more endeavour.
    Also, Meyers writes in a more conversational style. Great for grasping the concepts but it does rack up the page count with a whole heap of words that you don't need second time through the book.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  16. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

In the previous version of The Book he sets out a study plan in the first chapter. There was a table where you could rate how much experience you have in various topics, and he gave a guideline of how much time to set aside and what to focus on. I'm guessing that's still in the new book? (Anyone?)

1100+ pages sounds like a lot - but there are a LOT of pictures and diagrams. For example, NICs, frames and packets are covered in a beautiful series of pictures that makes it incredibly easy to visualise what's happening. He makes it seem simple. Also, he has photos of many components, tools and devices.

The other thing is his writing style, as mentioned above. He's a great conversational writer. As a rule study is NOT fun. I used to read the MS Press MCDST books at bedtime when I couldn't sleep - those books are a powerful sedative. Out like a light every time. They should be a controlled substance. People could abuse them. I can see it now... a darkened bar, the seedy guy watches the pretty girl, when she's distracted slips an MS Press book on her table...
    Problem is, a lot of study books can be like this in IT. It's hard to make CPU sockets and hardware drivers engaging. But Meyers' does it somehow. You fly through it in no time. It's the only IT study book EVER that's KEPT ME UP at bedtime!

Actually. That last sentence was wrong. His Network+ book is just as good.

In case you can't tell, I'm a fan!

Last edited: May 25, 2012
    Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
    shocksl likes this.
  17. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

Once again thanks for your magnificent and comprehensive response.

I can certainly see that you are in love with myers books lol!!! But it does give me a great deal of comfort knowing that a book can be this interesting.

I'll read it whilst watching messer videos too

Thanks again mate your a star!