A+ N+, then where?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by MetalTech, Aug 17, 2011.

1. MetalTech

MetalTech Bit Poster

Hi all,

I guess you probably get alot of posts like these! I'm, just about to take my A+ exam and am confident about it. Then I'm going to get on with the N+.

The problem is, I just can't seem to figure out what to do after that, there seem to be quite a few options available. Also, being as the A+ now expires every 3 years, does that mean I have to get a move on with some certs that require the A+ and N+ as electives?

Thanks for your help.

M

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Hi Metal, welcome to CF. I wouldn't worry too much about other certs that can use the A+ and N+ as electives as they are few and far between. The MCSA is the only Microsoft one I know of where you can use them as an elective. It wouldn't suprise me if the MCSA has been retired by then, so you would need to get a move on for better reasons than the A+ and N+ needing renewal.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. MetalTech

MetalTech Bit Poster

Hey thanks, maybe I should just concentrate on getting these two done, then think about where to go from there. But that still leaves me
    with a lot of options! When it comes to entry level positions in IT, all I seem to find are helpdesk roles. What certs will set me up well for a position such as this?

4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I would perhaps look at one of the Windows 7 MCTS's or perhaps even the 70-270 (XP Client exam). XP may be old now, but it's still installed on a massive number of PC's out there and will be for some time to come.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. MetalTech

MetalTech Bit Poster

Ok thanks, I'll look into those. Hopefully it will enable me to get my foot back in the door whilst I continue to study. I wondered if doing the A+ exam is really worthwhile, as I said before most of it is pretty easy. How well do employers really consider this certification? Should I just go straight through N+ then on to MS certs?

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Don't forget there's more to life than collecting certs.
    I'd focus on getting A+ and Network+ and then getting your foot in the door somewhere.
    Although Comptia certs tend to be a bit generic, most others are aimed at those with some industry experience.
    More to the point, until you start working, you aren't really going to know which certification path is right for you.
    I guess that's why you're feeling a bit adrift at the moment

Unless I'm completely wide of the mark. You may well already be working, in which case you need to look at the technology that you/your company uses on a regular basis in order to guide you.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Certs aren't everything, I know a chap who has failed the A+ three times now but is working as a technician for an NHS trust, what he lacks for in ability he more than makes up for in personality, everyone he visits loves him for his personal touch, never mind the fact that he may well make the matters worse because of his lack of ability, oh and I should also add that he has the highest call closure rate of everyone in the team (10 people), why? because he does the crappy jobs no one else wants, he does the mundane password resets, the desk moves etc.

He isn't certified but actually manages to impress everyone around him so I wouldn't get too hung up on certifications too much.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Rob1234 likes this.
  8. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

So true, when people are looking at gettting there first job in IT soft skills and good interviewing techniques are better then A+ any day.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
    Certifications: A few.
  9. MetalTech

MetalTech Bit Poster

Thanks again guys, what you say is inspiring and a great help. Also good news in a way. I will look into those recommended paths of study, whilst working on my personality and job applications!

10. 56mylar

56mylar Bit Poster

These forums have great chaps with excellent advice. Keep your focus on one cert at a time, so as not to get overwhelmed. Don't be too rushed, you are in the tech world now, so things will always be changing, you have signed up to be a lifelong learner! I also saw this post which may help you a bit, not so much about certs but other things to do for your career
    So, you want to be a computer technician? | Kickstart (your) Computer Career!

11. mdavies

mdavies Bit Poster

good discussion!
    my $0.02... certs are good to get past the HR department when you need to interview. after that, it's just a matter of what you know assuming you want to be the kind of tech who people run to when **** hits the fan. a colleague of mine has every networking book in the world (it seems) on his desk, along with a stack of RFCs printed out. he can reference quotes and page numbers - really knows his stuff. and yet he doesn't have a single certification. could care less about them.

perhaps he's an exception and has been around a long time. us younger guys need some ammunition to get in the door. either way, it pays to know what you're talking about.

i love this stuff!!! :)

good luck everyone!

12. MetalTech

MetalTech Bit Poster

Thanks yet again guys, I'm studying and searching like I'm possessed! Sometimes I think I'm trying to learn everything at once when I just need to settle and focus.
    One thing has got me thinking, and it may even be another topic. But further down the line, would it be more beneficial to go the MCSE route or MCITP?
    In your experience, how much has the world actually moved towards W7 and 2k8?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

MCITP is typically two or three exams, depending on the subject. MCSE is 7.
    I'd only consider the MCSE if you are, or are thinking of, working in an organisation still heavily reliant on Server 2003. They're still out there, but there is always an inherant risk in embarking on a long period of study on an older technology.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  14. MetalTech

MetalTech Bit Poster

Yeah, that is kinda what I was thinking...
    I figure it'll be better in the long run studying MCITP.

Cheers.

15. certnerd

certnerd Bit Poster

If you are doing Network+ then you will be halfway toward a Cisco CCENT. Then you will be halfway toward CCNA. CCNA I think carries a lot more weight than Network+ when looking for networking jobs.

Look for a local Cisco Networking Academy, and do the CCNA. Where I did it, it was 4 semesters, each semester was 12 weeks long 3.5hrs a week (eveing class). I found having an instructor pushing me and a class of like minded students supporting me was great. You also get access to loads of physical kit. Much better to do it like this than one of these rushed 3 day or weekend boot camps I reckon.

If you want a sys admin job then forget all that and chase Microsoft and VMWare

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  16. MetalTech

MetalTech Bit Poster

Oh so many options!
    I do prefer the idea of getting into networking, perhaps a role that has some hands on with the physical network. CCNA is something I have considered. But it is another fork in the road I have to take at the moment.
    Don't worry about the boot camp thing, it isn't my style! I don't like to rush either. At the moment I self study, but I find that my learning style is in fact from reading accompanied with with some extra research and hands on. I am also quite self-disciplined, (as I'm sure most people on this forum are). My only obstacle is getting my hands on some real world gear, not just the few things I have at home.
    I only have another predicament now, as a relative noob to the professional world of networking, I feel confused about which direction I should go. Should I not accompany the CCNA with at least some of MS's offerings?

17. MetalTech

MetalTech Bit Poster

CCNA does interest me, but at this early stage it's hard for me to say which route to take. CCNA probably needs a fair bit of hands on equipment with gear I don't have. I'm on a budget and self study at the moment, but I am disciplined and learn well from this style of study.
    I should have a better idea after I've done this N+.
    Ta.