A+, N+, & MSCE

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by greenbrucelee, Jun 17, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Do you think its possible to these 3 subjects by the end of November?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Uhm.......

In a word, no. Unless you have already pretty much studied all of them thoroughly already, and have experience of most of the core materials within.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

No chance whatsoever mate :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

In 5 months..... I'd be pretty happy in passing two exams towards the MCSE. (291-293) let alone the whole shebang.

5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Nope, some people take longer than that just to cover the A+ :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Patience and hard work, grasshopper.

7. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

If I got A+ and N+ in that time i'd be well happy....MCSE is a whole new ball game, lots of exams.

Do you work in IT mate ?

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Agreed, just see what MS says:

"MCSE candidates should also have at least one year of experience implementing and administering network operating systems and desktop operating systems."

To attain a high level professional cert is very hard to do. Now until Nov is 5 months, that's just enough time to go thru the training courses for each module (1 month per module). Going thru the training course isn't the same as fully understanding the concepts and underlining knowledge, which takes alot longer (believe me).

Please take your time going thru the modules/certs, don't rush. While it's nice to have the cert, it's better to have the underpinning knowledge and understanding in order to back your cert up with, rather than just having a useless piece of paper.

Hope this helps

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Looking at the certs on my wall...

I passed the A+ in April 2006.

And then the Network+ in October 2006.

I'm fortunate in as much that I was given the opportunity to take on an entry level IT role before I knew that certifications in the field existed.

So I researched, found this place, and studied for those certs.

I've been trying to get my head around the Microsoft stuff (specifically 70-270 and 70-290) since.

I've reversed a bit and am now studying for 70-271 and 70-272 to give me the MCDST cert.

In truth, I've learnt more in the last twelve months than I ever thought possible. The certs have taken a bit of a back seat as the every day experience has taken precedence.

Studying towards the certs, though, gives insight and information that is often not available in the workplace, which is, sometimes necessarily, limited by what a specific company needs to achieve its goals.

So, sorry about the ramble.

But in answer to your question:

No mate.

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It took me a year to pass five of the seven exams needed from MCSE.. the other two took almost a year each.. so, it took me nearly three years just to get MCSE. Now there are people that could do it faster, maybe around a year, if you really put some effort into it.

So, in answer to your question, i would say that time scale is a tad unrealistic :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I'm with Bluerinse here. I took me nearly 3 years to get my MCSE so 5 months to do all that, No Way, not legally

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  13. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

With hard work and a job in IT, I'd say the A+ and maybe even the Network+ in 5 months. For the MCSE, it took me from Oct 2003 to Jan 2005 for all those, and that was over 3 hours a day, after work. Unfortunately, I didn't have much of a life for about 2 years :blink

Take your time, bro. If I were a bettin' man, I'd say you're a young man, so concentrate more on comprehension. Your career is not a race, and learning material to use in the workplace needs to stick. You'll get there :biggrin

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  14. greenbrucelee

Cheers Guys its just that in my present job it looks like i am gonna be made redundant in 5 months time, so I am gonna try and get as many certs and quals under my belt as I can. So if I am forced to look for another job then hopefully those certs and quals will help.

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you've read these boards, you should already know that certifications alone won't get you an IT job. Therefore, getting the MCSE at your current level of experience will be pretty useless. I'd concentrate on getting the A+, and maybe the N+ if you can tackle it in that short amount of time (and even that'd be pushing your time frame quite a bit).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. greenbrucelee

Yeah BM I do understand that qualifications cant get you a job, I mean we were told at Uni that if you passed then it was your gateway to life, but I since learned that this was BS.

All I meant to say that if getting some certs etc can put me ahead of the competition when going for an interview.

17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

getting certs is a lot of work.. it can take months/years :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  18. BosonMichael

Sure, the A+ and N+ can put you ahead of other folks just starting out their IT careers. But the MCSE at this stage of your career? It won't help at all, in my opinion.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  19. greenbrucelee

So I should wait a while before doing the MSCE?

20. BosonMichael

1) Definitely. The MCSE certification is for techs who already have experience in the field working with those technologies, not techs who want to GET experience in the field working with those technologies.

2) It's MCSE, not MSCE. Before you get it, ya better learn to spell it! :biggrin