A+ + N+ = MCP ?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Wassup, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

would the two comptia certs A+ and Network+ qualify me as a microsoft certified professional?

if so, how do i go about registering with microsoft? (can some1 tell me how to do this anyway :) )

or will i have to wait until i pass the 70-215?

i'm asking because i saw in another thread that the win2k mcsa doesnt show that a+ & n+ are allowed for the mcsa cert whereas they are for win2k3 mcsa?
    win2k mcsa
    win2k3

thanks

2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Im not totally sure but i think they count as an elective for the MS exams. But you wouldnt get any certificates off MS saying that your a MCP just because you have passed those

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

The simple answer is no. You only get MCP status when you pass a Microsoft exam.

Raffaz is however correct in that Microsoft classes them as being a suitable set of certs to use in their MCSA 2003 as an elective (the equivallent of passing 1 additional MCP exam).

Microsoft do not however recognise them as a suitable elective for the MCSA on windows 2000 (although they used to). For details here.

So to answer your original question you would have to pass ANY Microsoft exam to become MCP*

*Note that when passing the newer MS exams you no longer become an MCP, but a MCTS instead.

8)

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Like simon said. Also any reason you looking to pass 70-215? If you looking to become a MCP you might as well look at 271 or/and 272 to become MCP --> MCDST or another option would be just 270 to become MCP.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

:(

the reason for the 215 is that its part of a package , followed by 70-218 and 70-270, which I have been led to believe would qualify me as mcsa win2k, ie (A+ + N+) + 215 + 218 + 270 = win2k mcsa

or have i been sold a dud?

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

It used to, but it seems that MS have changed their requirements for the MCSA 2000.

Don't be dishartened though, you will still learn an awful lot, and will simply need to do one additional exam to get MCSA.

If you paid *lots* for this package then I'd have a word with the people who supplied it to you, if not then you are still getting a good deal.

7. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

well, there's 23 days in-the-classroom training, which i do benefit from, plus books and support for £2750, which is a huge amount of money and then i have to pay for the exams on top of that so I am a little p***ed at the moment. (sure I'll get over it) But if the exams/certs don't reach the MCSA Win2k requirements, then I suppose I can have them for false advertising or misrepresentation or something similar?

I am speaking directly to the senior trainers so we'll see what happens ...

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Mate if you havent start any MCP exams.. i think its wise to go with Server 2003 MCSA.. 270-290-291-elective(A+ and N+ in this case). Cause then you looking at upgrades a many when you want to get it to Longhorn MCSE.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  9. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

that "is" a good idea, I'll have to see if that can be arranged with the money that i've already spent :rolleyes:

/edit

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/partners.mspx
    here it does say that Network+ or Server+ is allowed for the MCSA, apparently the front page has been changed but a mistake has been made. Microsoft's programme manager is to be notified and , i guess, the page will be updated to show the correct information.

http://certification.comptia.org/mcsa/default.aspx
    this also seems to verify that A+ and the Net+ do count as an elective.

@simongrahamuk : did you do the same as me and read that page or do you know otherwise? I appreciate your help.

thanks

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As stated the N+ and A+ count as an elective towards MCSA 2003 but do not count as a stand alone MCP. When you register them with MS it shows up as MCP-000.

Just to second what Zimbo has posted, if you haven’t started your MCPs then it makes sense to go for the 70-270, 70-290 and 70-291 which combined with A+ and N+ will give you the MCSA, happy days! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs