A+ (& N+) course and exam advice/options?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Garply, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Garply

Garply New Member

Hi Forum users,

I have a budget of about £780 to go towards an A+ & N+ as well as the exam fees and I was wondering what would be the best and most cost effective route to go down? Can anyone recommend where the current cheapest option is (I’m in London)?

Kensington and Chelsea college offer both courses at approximately £242 each (12 weeks, @ approx 4 hours each): at present I’m looking to take this option, but now it seems that what I will have left won’t cover the exam fees as apparently the A+ has 2 exams – what are the two exams?
    I was wondering if anyone can clarify the current cost of the A+ and N+ exam fees?

Also, it looks like users on this forum recommend the self studying and scrapping the courses. So I was wondering if I should do the N+ (as it might be more hands-on, regarding networking devices) course and pay for the exam fee, and do self-studying on the A+ and pay for the exam fees... ?

What books and materials would be recommended for the self-studying option?

I’d appreciate any responses and advice.

Thanks in advanced.

Regards,
    Tom

WIP: CCNA
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I'd do both self-study. In fact, I have.
    The A+ cost me £110 per exam=£220
    The Network+ was about £170 for the exam.
    That's £400 already.
    The good news is, it's not difficult to self-study and your study materials for both will cost you around £50 in total.
    So, we're up to about £450. The rest of your budget can be spent building yourself a half-decent PC, and that will teach you some of the practical stuff as well. Ask around friends and family to see if they have an old computer you can upgrade. I got a PC for nothing from a friend, spent about £100 between upgrading my main PC and adding what I needed to add to the free one.
    With the money you have left from your budget you could squeeze in the MCDST as well. (about £75 per exam and £30 per book=£210 for the two exams).
    What's that now, £760.
    That's within your budget and exceeds your objectives. That's a winner.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As said you can self study and book the exams yourself.

You can buy discount vouchers from www.gracetechsolutions.com make sure you buy the international vouchers though as the others are for the US and Canada.

You can find your nearest exam centers on www.pearsonvue.com this is the place where you also book the exams.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Garply

Garply New Member

Hi Soundian,
    I appreciate the quick response and the cost calculating. Yes, I think I’m probably going to do the self-studying. I’ve recently built my custom PC and I’m actually (fittingly) troubleshooting it now. I’ve also upgraded my old PC many times so I shouldn’t find that aspect difficult.

As you’ve done it, could you recommend the best books to study from? Preferably the rock solid guaranteed ones...

Also - as you’ve done it as well – is the Network+ just as suited to self-studying and can you recommend the books best for this one?

The MCDST looks tempting as well actually; I think I’ll look into that...

Thanks.

5. Garply

Garply New Member

Hi Greenbucelee,
    Thanks for the response and the links. I was wondering if the vouchers that are purchased have an expiry? Also, are the vouchers form gracetech via online only? Is there anywhere I can purchase them locally?

Thanks.

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

the vouchers get emailed to you after 24 hours and you use the voucher codes to pay pearsonvue for the exams, on the pearsonvue site you will find your nearest test center.

vouchers are not sold in the UK anymore that is why you have to buy international vouchers and can only do it online or pay full price.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?