A+ Mike Myers PSU chapter

Discussion in 'A+' started by MrZiGrishenko, Apr 4, 2011.

1. MrZiGrishenko

MrZiGrishenko Bit Poster

Hi all,

i'm getting though the mike myers a+ book atm, and enjoying learning all the new stuff.

only thing is, i've just finished the chapter on PSU's (CH10) and although it's nice to know everything about psu's, i've never seen a tech or someone in the know "test" a psu with a multimeter....they just replace them, as they're so cheap and it's generally quick.

any of you who are in a tech/it job, have you ever tested a psu? or did you just change it? companies (especially mine) buy budget psu's - they break very freqently but take only a few minutes to change and in their eyes cheaper than buying a decent one.

however, my cheap as chips psu died one day at work, and my system is pretty high spec, the tech wasn't in that day so i drove to microdirect and bought a lovely modular 550W corsair VX series psu on the company credit card, and it's never once gone wrong....i went through 3 other cheap psu's in around 2 years!

thoughts?

2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I've tested them before, if the computer is acting weird bluescreens, power offs and other non regular problems you are in the dodgy ground of trying to figure out whats wrong could be psu, mobo, cpu all three can display similar symptoms of faults.
    In the olden days we used to use paperclips to make the psu's starts without being plugged in so we could test them (blue and black wires on the old dells if I remember correctly).

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I use a PSU tester, as it's quicker than lashing in a new PSU.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA