A+,MCDST how fast?week,month?

Discussion in 'A+' started by kevingrng, Sep 3, 2009.

1. kevingrng

kevingrng New Member

Hi Again to everyone!!! though this forum is full information information and information. I dont need to write anything. All the answer and confusion are pre-informed...which means no need to repeat and ...pt.

I am not sure about my level of computer knowlege but to me. I do most of normal technician does. I wanted to know how long does it take for me to get my A+ and MCDST. Can I go together, would be fine or go for A+ and MCDST next..and N+...?

any advice would really be appreciate,

thanks in advance,

Calvin :onthePC

2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

It depends on what level your starting knowledge is and how deep it goes, you may be good at administration tasks but when asked to work out the subnet mask in your N+ you may not be so strong.

The other variable is how much time and effort you are willing to put into this. I did my A+ and my MCDST in a year - Craigie on here did his MCSE in a year (Please note this is NOT normal behavior). So you could do more, you could do less it all depends on you.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

^^What he said
    Also there's how well YOU learn. The A+ and MCDST require a lot of memorising of facts and procedures. If your memory is elephantine, you should get through it pretty quick. If it's more like mine (not quite a sieve, more of a colander) you'll take longer.
    It also depends on how much quality study time you have available.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

It will also take longer to learn something very well, than it does to learn it so that you're just able to pass the exam.

Sometimes it takes 20% of your time to learn 80% of the subject matter, and another 80% of your time to learn the final 20%...

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As long as it takes. Study until you completely understand the concepts - no more, no less. The amount of time that takes is different for everyone.

I'd study for them separately.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!